setting out staggered tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I have some experince in tiling have done a few bathrooms. However have never tile in a staggered pattern. The type that looks like brickwork hope thats a good enough description. Could anyone give me some tips on setting out this type of tiling?

Sponsored Links
Mark the center of the wall or floor and walk them hand over hand marking the joints as you go,then place the center of a tile above/below /beside that row and do the same.See how they come out with regards to size of cuts at ends,then adjust if needed to find what suits you.

Brick bond with large format is a little more difficult as they need to be really flat or the next row will have steps in the center of the tiles.

Better to spend an hour or so setting out ;)

Sponsored Links
hi fred..its just the same as you would do normally, but you will be looking for a "full tile" wrap round in all four corners..

centre your main wall(overbath or window wall)

then as lance has said take one tile and walk it from your centre line to the corner and see what size of cut you will have(dont want a slither).

if you get slither cut then adjust centre line..(just take tile and mark the centre of the tile and start from centre of this, from your centre line on wall).

if cuts work out ok..then you will want to get your "datum" line now...

half the height of wall(floor to ceiling).
and again start from (datum)and again walk tile to top and again to floor to check what size of cuts you will have also check were tile will be above bath/shower tray, again no slither cuts,if any adjust the datum line(as above).
..then corner wrap round..

lets say in your corner you will have half tile cut, then you will have other half tile on other wall(full tile wrap round)

or if its 1/4 tile cut you will have,..then 3/4 tile on other wall.

you will want to take this around all "four" walls to check cuts in all "corners"..
then when your happy with all walls/cuts/wrap rounds...tile away mate.. ;)

also as lance has said when you are doing this with big tiles(600x300mm)
the tiles may have a slight bow in them so you will get shadowing on walls it will be very noticable mate with these tiles..when fixed and grouted to walls..
to check for bowing lay tiles on a flat surface next to each other an feel and look,you will see it..
if the tiles are this size (600x300mm) imo i wouldnt brickbond...

Thanks for the advice tictic. I just want to check a few things with you after you' ve centerd you main wall. Do you then centre the other walls I'm tiling free walls of the bathroom. Is a full tile wrap essential what if the cut on one side of the wall is an inch bigger should this be ok. For the datum" line I'm tiling with a half tile on top off the bath leaves me good cuts to the floor and the ceiling. Thanks for your help

its a personnel preferance fred..99% of the time i would aim for a full tile wrapround on risbond and brokenbond give or take a few mm...

as for the 3 walls, start from your main wall and walk tile into corner then carry on round marking the other corners to see how it works..

if you have a door/window in any off these walls you may need to centre/off centre other wall so you dont have a very slim slither.. still checking how cuts will be.
takes slightly more time setting out brokenbond.
again its personnel preferance mate.
best of bud ;)

Both ways of doing this I end up with slither cuts on one row a 2inch slither, how do I get rid of this do I need to move the centre line of the wall to try sort it. Thanks for any response

This is the quote from above that I'm strugglin with to get my cuts right>

looking for a "full tile" wrap round in all four corners..

centre your main wall(overbath or window wall)

then as lance has said take one tile and walk it from your centre line to the corner and see what size of cut you will have(dont want a slither).

if you get slither cut then adjust centre line..(just take tile and mark the centre of the tile and start from centre of this, from your centre line on wall).

if cuts work out ok..then you will want to get your "datum" line now...

Both ways of doing this I end up with slither cuts on one row a 2inch slither, how do I get rid of this do I need to move the centre line of the wall to try sort it. Thanks for any response

adjust your centre line,if your not happy with cuts in corner.

what size of tiles are you fixing..width and height?

what is the width and height of the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back