Setting Up Auotamtic Bypass Valve and Pump Curves

Have you tried balancing the system?

No not fully yet, I have the same settings as those on the previous boiler, all the the rads are getting hot except one, which is not an issue as there are 3 x 1600 watt radiators in the room.

ABV on 0.5

Not tried that setting, I guess I would be worried that it would not open at that setting.

You say the pump is using 40W with a 4.4m head. Was that when you measured the temperatures?

That's what was displayed on the pump, and that was the display settings when the temperatures were recorded.

These were the results from this morning:

1 min - 38 - 20
6min - 48 -30
11 min - 57 - 39
14 min - 58 - 40
16 min 60 - 42
18 min 60 - 44 - Modulating
22 min 60 - 47
40 min 60 - 48[/quote]

Sponsored Links
These were the results from this morning:

1 min - 38 - 20
6min - 48 -30
11 min - 57 - 39
14 min - 58 - 40
16 min 60 - 42
18 min 60 - 44 - Modulating
22 min 60 - 47
40 min 60 - 48
Are those flow and return temperatures?

If so, why is the flow temperature never exceeding 60? Is it because you have set it to 60 in the parameters?

What are d.05 and d.71?

What controls do you have?

Yes these are flow and return temperatures. 60 C was the set temperature on the boiler dial.

What are d.05 and d.71

D5 = set value of the boiler dial i.e 60 C.

D71 = not available through the menu.

Yes these are flow and return temperatures. 60 C was the set temperature on the boiler dial.

D5 = set value of the boiler dial i.e 60 C.
Forget about D71. It's an "installer" parameter and just sets the maximum flow temperature you can set using the dial.

Why do you have the temperature set to 60? Is it because you don't need it any higher to keep the house at the required temperature?

What was the house temperature when you took the first and last reading?
How cold does the house get overnight?
Any idea how cold it was outside when you checked the temperatures?

The reason for these questions is that the temperatures indicate that the rads are only giving off about 14kW, not 23kW or even 25kW.

You forgot to say what controls you have (room stat make/model etc).

Sponsored Links
Hi

Room temperature falls to 18 degrees overnight with an outside of 5 C, with a heat up time to 20 C in 1 hour. D40 and D 41 measured throughout the heating cycle.

Room temperature falls to 17 degrees overnight with an outside of 0 C, with a heat up time to 20 C in 90 mins. D40 and D 41 measured throughout the heating cycle.

Temperature is controlled via a Drayton RTS1 room stat in the hall way. I have tried the digital versions but didn't get on with them.

During the day the heating comes on about every 30 mins for about 10 mins (after initial warm up). Heating is on for 16 hrs a day. Average gas consumption over the last 2 weeks is about 120KW a day.

A 60 degree setting seems to work well and keeps the boiler in condensation mode.

I am now in the process of balancing the radiators but can only do one a day during the morning heating cycle.

Does this conclude anything to you?

During the day the heating comes on about every 30 mins for about 10 mins (after initial warm up). Heating is on for 16 hrs a day. Average gas consumption over the last 2 weeks is about 120KW a day.
Do you mean 120kWh (kilowatt hours)?

A 60 degree setting seems to work well and keeps the boiler in condensation mode.
That makes sense. All you are doing is topping up the heat lost overnight. Wouldn't work if the house was allowed to cool right down to 0C!

I am now in the process of balancing the radiators but can only do one a day during the morning heating cycle.
That may take a long time as you have to go round the system several times to get it right. So I'm not sure if that will work.

Do you mean 120kWh (kilowatt hours)?

Probable my inaccurate use of terms. However, I use 4 units of gas a day (the gas meter reads a difference of 4 a day), which I understand to be 4 * 31 = 124 KW used.

I use 4 units of gas a day (the gas meter reads a difference of 4 a day), which I understand to be 4 * 31 = 124 KW used.
No, it is kilowatt-hours. Your gas bill should explain this.

That's approximately correct if your meter measure in 100's of cubic ft; it will say on the meter. If it measures in cubic meters, the multiplier is approx 11.

Assuming 124 is correct, you boiler is running at an average output of 7.75kW

Sounds typical of an imperial meter and registering 4 "units" of 100 cu ft per day.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back