Automatic Bypass Valve Setting For Smart Pump

After pestering Grundfoss, Wilo and Bosch (who incidently insist on an automatic bypass but are unable to advise how it should be set up) I got a very sensible reply from Grundfoss and installed a Taconova setter valve. I t works brilliantly when the boiler shuts down both motorized valves close and the bypass opens up to the desired bypass flow and not to waste the heat I put it back into the hot water tank.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

I have just fitted a Wilo Series Smart A: 25/6
Is it possible to run the pump without the auto feature.

I need to run the pump on max setting.

Do i have to dis some wiring or just change a setting?

Regards

Steve Willey

Another example of totally irrelevant nonsence from BB. He seems to be getting worse as he gets older!

We see very few smart pumps but they dont seem to present much of a problem.

The pumps interpret the current taken to indicate the pumping flow resistance.

This question is only a problem in the owners mind. The reality of the practical situation is that there is not any problem.

I would suggest that you turn off all rads except one and then set the auto bypass to just allow a small flow through it.

The scales on bypasses are either arbitrary or in metres head of water. ( Not in Bar ! ).

Tony
Hi Tony,

Regards

Steve Willey

Hi Tony,

Regards

Steve Willey

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1943728#1943728#ixzz1Ht8CyVEH

I have exactly the same query and exactly the same stone walling , have you had this problem resolved?

You might want to put a plate heat exchanger on the flow & return to the boiler. Have a fixed speed pump on the flow or return of the boiler - the boiler only flow through the plate heat exchanger. On the other side of the plate have the flow and return to the CH and cylinder. On this side have the smart pump and flow switch in front. The flow switch switches the boiler and fixed rate pump in and out.

The advantages are:

1. [*]The plate heat exchanger 100% protects the boiler as it is always at full flow through the boiler
    [*]No sludge from the raditors enters the boiler at all as it is 100% isolated from the harmful system.
    [*]The boiler stays super clean.
    [*]No by-pass valves needed.
Well worth doing.
Hi Tony,

Regards

Steve Willey

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1943728#1943728#ixzz1Ht8CyVEH[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Regards

Steve Willey

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1943728#1943728#ixzz1Ht8CyVEH

The bypass setting is NOT related to the pump: it's to do with your boiler's required minimum flowrate. The combination of bypass and smart pump may not do what your boiler needs.

The pump's smart logic probably calculates what actual output pressure it's producing (I assume the Wilo one does this... just struggled with the Wilo website to try to identify which pump you have & its likely performance -and gave up! Is it a Stratos 25/1-8?) If the result is just more than the pressure required to drive your system but still just less than the bypass setting, your boiler will be unhappy! OTOH, if you have a 'real' bypass load such as a heated towel rail on all the time, you probably won't need any other bypass at all - the pump will deal with the problem.

More details of the setup, please.
Hi,

Regards

Steve Willey

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1943728#1943728#ixzz1Ht8CyVEH[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Grundfoss pumps can be set so that they run much the same as a non smart pump.

There seems little information on the cheaper Wilo smart pumps. As they followed the Grundfoss I can only expect that they can also be set in a similar way.

I dont see why anyone would want to though.

Tony

i found a wilo smart a pump on a vaillant ecopro 415 condensing open vented boiler ,boiler making kettling noise phoned vaillant and they said we dont recomend a smart pump on this boiler as it slows down to below the flow rate the boiler needs to function properly.so the smart pump maybe not so smart also had problems with pushing air out of systems (i know this is more down to bad systems not venting air )but sometimes you need a pump to push at the max to move air.i now have a wilo that does 4 spins in the night for about 4 seconds each spin then does it again at random times through the night ,cant say i would buy a smart pump of any make

Smart pumps are good at doing some things like preventing TRV chatter as most close.

Where they are not very good is interfacing with auto bypasses!

Tony

The Grundfos manual does mention THERMOSTATICALLY controlled bypass valves. These are a completely different beasty and i can find no mention of them anywhere for domestic use.

They are used on wood burning boilers to bypass the flow until the boiler has warmed up to prevent excessive condensation inside.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back