Settle an argument

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could use some info to settle an argument discussion regarding attaching plasterboard to a block wall.

I'm sure there is a reason to not attach plaster board directly to block walls with screws/plugs (like hammer in fixings or other mechanical method). But I couldn't recall why..

Enemy friend says it's fine and says it's done all the time and also points out boards being screwed directly to stud walls as proof it's fine..

Stumped at this point as he has a point with the stud I guess??

So then, is it ok or not? I'm happy to accept being wrong BTW, I'm not looking for confirmation just knowledge.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally it would be dot 'n' dabbed or battens screwed to the walls and boards screwed to the battens.

I've heard folk have screwed straight to the wall, if the walls are dead flat, suppose it would work, if they are not, you'll just snap the board in places, when you screw the board to the wall.

Using plasterboard adhesive enables you get it plumb to compensate for dodgy walls etc.

Sponsored Links
Drilling and plugging for an 8 x 4 sheet would be a total pain. Doable yes but unwise. Quite common with heavy boards (shower backers) to fix with d & d then drill and fix through the dots for belt and braces fix

It’s a misconception that the ‘screw through the adhesive’

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back