settle this...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been informed that a house undergoing refurbishment should have mains operated smokes fitted or it will not meet the current regulations.
Reading,pg 8 of John Whitfields 'Electricans Guide...' would appear to confirm that this is the case, to meet Building Regulations.

"...require all new and refurbished dwellings to be fitted with mains operated smoke alarms."

So, if a property is undergoing an electrical upgrade, for example, new CU, is it a must to fit smokes? What i really want to know is, by not meeting the building regulations, will the property automatically fail a test of its electrical integrity because it is non-compliant with building regulations?

Doesnt seem right to me, but a spark i was chatting with today was of this opinion.

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
mackeral said:
So, if a property is undergoing an electrical upgrade, for example, new CU, is it a must to fit smokes? What i really want to know is, by not meeting the building regulations, will the property automatically fail a test of its electrical integrity because it is non-compliant with building regulations?
No, because it's a building reg, not a wiring reg. Same with socket heights - it's no more an electricians job to pass comment on that than it is to highlight non-Part L compliant windows...

And even next year, when the wiring regs become part of the Building Regs, it still won't fail, because they'll be different parts - contravening Part B does not imply you've contravened Part P. Of course, if you comply with Part B, and fit them, then you must do so in the manner required by Part P.

what do you think?
I think you should fit mains powered, battery backed-up, interlinked detectors, preferably of different types, on a non-RCD lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back