Settling new soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have raised a section of my my garden by 8" using 8 tonnes of top soil, I want to grass this area using turf.

I have healed the ground down and levelled it, but I am worried that it wont be firm enough after its turfed and I will end up with an uneven lawn.

Would watering the soil and letting it dry again help the settling process before I turf it?

I don't want to end up with a compacted load of soil that the turf wont grow into, and I don't want to end up with a spongy sunken lawn after a year.

Any ideas? I don't have, and don't have access to a roller.

Sponsored Links
A heel will give much more compaction that a roller anyway. You will probably have to face just top dressing low spots after a year or two. That quantity of soil will settle a little so just don't fret about it now and concentrate on a good bed for the turf.

I like to lay turf on 30mm ish of grit/sharp sand as it roots quickly into this and its much easier to level well.

A heel will give much more compaction that a roller anyway. You will probably have to face just top dressing low spots after a year or two. That quantity of soil will settle a little so just don't fret about it now and concentrate on a good bed for the turf.

I like to lay turf on 30mm ish of grit/sharp sand as it roots quickly into this and its much easier to level well.

Perfect, thank you, I will follow your advice.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back