severe blockage in waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a severe blockage in the 32mm waste pipe coming from my basin which goes into a tee which takes the bath waste.

The trap was found to be full of muck and hard as stone. I tried clearing the pipe run with a hand plunger and also tried a hydraulic plunger which cleared the bath waste but not the basin.

For over a week I poured caustic soda and boiling water with no results. I also tried a "worm" but it just bent the spiral on the end.

The pipework when removed was full of this limescale stuff nearly the full diameter of the pipe. The straight run was rodded out and is 100% clear but where it drops in 2 45's there is still a blockage.

I removed the bath waste to try and rod it but I did not have anything flexible or strong enough and the worm just bends when it comes into contact with it.
The blockage seems worse because the last bit has compressed in the fitting.

There is adequate fall from the pipe at all appropriate points. I am going to try one shot drain cleaner as i have read good reviews.

Can anyone reccomend anything stronger if this doesnt work or a suitable tool for getting round that tight 45 degree angle. It is completly blocked solid now.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
One shot instant drain cleaner is about as strong as you want to go.

Very strong stuff, will eat straight into your T shirt if spilt on there, then your skin

Since you describe the blockage as possibly limescale, clearing it with the alkalis you have described is not likely to dissolve it. Try some brick acid.

If all else fails then replacing the pipework may be the best option - you've spent so much on chemicals now that it would probably have been cheaper to do this anyway. But it depends on how much access you have.

Sounds like you've made heroic efforts to clear this blockage. I can't believe it's just limescale in a waste pipe. A hot water pipe maybe, but..
The only thing I've seen as bad as what you describe is tile cement/grout washed down the drains, but not washed down well enough. Nigh impossible to get rid of - had to replace the pipework. Give the brick acid a try and cross your fingers.

Sponsored Links
Agree that it is unlikely to be limescale really in retrospect, and more than likely to be residue of adhesive/grout poured down there at some time. Either way, alkali isn't shifting it.

Thank goodness for that- I thought you only get limescale like that in urinals :mad:

thanks for some very helpful posts. Yeah the access to it is a real issue i will have to take out the bath, shower screen etc :-s what is this limecale issue in urinals? where would i be able to buy this brick acid stuff. b and q?

I'm keen why one shot is not recommended here, it is sulfuric acid.

Is brick acid stronger than sulfuric acid?

one shot doesnt seem to be clearing the blockage. this brick acid where will i be able to find it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back