Severely dimming lights - for info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just for info, over the last couple of weeks my lights have been severely dimming when any heavy load was switched on. I had checked all connections I could find and it was still happening.

I was seriously considering getting a sparky in when all power cut out in my house, everything gone, but the fuseboard hadn't tripped.

On checking out the exterior meter box there was a bad burning smell so Central Networks (midlands area) were called in. My fused cut out was melted, rusted, basically f***ed inside and this was the cause of all my electrical problems (including rcd tripping, frequent flickering lights etc).

Electricity company replaced cut out (had to have half streets electric off - neighbours loved that!) took them about an hour + four hours waiting for them to turn up.

Anyone with same problems, take a quick look in your meter box first especially if you live in a 50's council house in Rowley. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have moved house which is 50 years old it has a relativley new mcb cu.
occasionally the lights flickerand dim also the whole house electrics cut out and i have to reset the rcd.
new shower fitted after the mcb continually tripping only to find its still tripping correctly wired with 6mm wire its nippin ma head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back