Sewage smell in ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

We moved into a new house (to us anyway) and one of the benefits was an ensuite, however we have noticed that every now and then (especially in the colder weather) a smell of sewage.

I've been reading several forums and posts and had a dig around.

From what I can tell, there is no vent into the loft or directly outside. There is one for the family bathroom but not the ensuite.
I have read about Durgo's and wondering if it is likely that one of these is fitted and its failed? As its not visible in the loft space, I can only presume its within the boxing in.

Before I consider having the boxing in removed is there anything else I can try?

From what I can tell all the traps are working ok, the only thing I suspect is that the toilet isn't fitted properly and the gasses may be leaking in from the flexible pipe as its not sealed properly. The one fitted is similar to the one in the picture attached, but it doesn't seem to have many of the sealing fins (don't know the proper term, but they are black on this picture) and I don't think any actually sit inside the soil pipe. They are just pushed up against it.

Could this be the problem??

Thanks for any advise (y)

Attachments

• O0243_431577_00.jpg
    O0243_431577_00.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Could it, well TBH yes, but it could be something else too. If you get a lit incense stick, flush the toilet and hold it around the join, does the smoke get blown, then you have a gap, though it would usually leak too. Dirty traps/wastes are another cause, clean them all out. Then it's into the boxing and see how the soil system has been put together and if there is an AAV in there.

Thanks Madrab, I'll try the incese stick test later when I get home.

The flexible connector goes quite far into the soil system but none of the "sealing fins" go into it. I thought they may have to, to create the seal.

Erm yup, you're absolutely right, you should be able to feel the air on your hand then if there are gaps. Unless it has something else sealing the pipe in. A couple of pics would help

Sponsored Links
Madrab, be home in a hour or so, so will test to see if I can feel any air as you have suggested. If I can't feel anything I will put up a couple of pics.

Thanks for the advice so far

So tested as per Madrab suggested but with a candle, we're right out of incense sticks!

Soon as the loo was flushed the flame was sucked in towards the joint. So I'm thinking that flexible connector has seen better days. I also noticed that there was some silicone at the joint round the back of the loo, so someone may have tried to resolve this problem before.

I've put a picture of the connector on here. It all appears to be plastic that fits into the waste, no rubber and the plastic is fair rigid.

Plan of action is to replace this and see if that cures the problem.

Attachments

• 20170122_170205_HDR~2.jpg
    20170122_170205_HDR~2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 296
That pan connector..... is not connected.
Needs pushing into the soil so you cant see any rubber fins

Hi Nortonj, I pulled it out to show the fins. There seem to be very few to all the ones I've seen at plumbers merchants

A
Hi Nortonj, I pulled it out to show the fins. There seem to be very few to all the ones I've seen at plumbers merchants
Ah ok. Depends on the brand re the fins but looks about right to me regarding the amount, but yes its seen better days. I would replace

Yup, cheap connector with rubbish seals by the looks of it, get a McAlpine, gloves on, clean inside the pipe, then a bit of lubrication on the seal and push all the way home until the last fin is inside the pipe, clean the toilet pan spigot till squeaky clean, then connect to toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back