Sewer blocked?

I'm assuming that your diagram & photo in post #6 are turned 180° from your photo in post#15?

1) Confirm that it only serves your home - camera survey would be a good check. I'd be interested (must get a life!) to know where the run goes to after it exits the chamber.

2) If it does and you are going to extend over the sewer then consider ripping the chamber out and building a new one with a double seal. Rerouting your current waste runs doesn't look feasible. The interceptor arrangement already looks to be blocked and there's either a vent or roding eye somewhere between the two houses.

Depending on where the outlet runs to, it's possible you might need to consult with Thames after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
It's an old fashioned interceptor trap. Usually completely useless.
Worse than useless - it's blocked - the plastic bottle is actually in a vent pipe, mentioned by newboy. Below the water is a trap. ( I was confused too, because of the vent looking like the cleaning eye) The water is flowing out the cleaning eye. Looking at your aeriel photo I reckon the vent is under that patch of gravel - someone took the vent away and pushed the bottle in then covered with peabeach. The oddest thing is that the outlet from the trap to the sewer must be in your neighbours yard :unsure:

Last edited:
I can see it now, the old man does have good eye-sight, Nige.

It makes sense why there is a plastic bottle there, the knights helmet must of being removed/broken.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Indeed so .....but looking back 1990 posted the correct answer ;) The question now is why is the outlet from an interceptor running under a neighbours house and how does the neighbours drainage connect ? From the picture the neighbour has a gulley directly opposite the manhole. The posters manhole appears to be at the head of the drain- serving only his house- It may be bizarre thinking that the interceptor shouldn't be there at all ?

Have to wonder is there a main running along the neighbours side return, and that chamber is connecting into it, hence the interceptor. Cannot see it going under the neighbours house, and the neighbours downpipes dead opposite are going somewhere. More investigation needed.

Either way, your going to have lots of drains inside. Worst being the kitchen/bathroom gully.

If the shared drain runs down the back you may be able to move the gully to the back and renew the SVP/toilet pipe directly to a new chamber in the shared section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back