Sewer gas smell - smoke test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
For about 7 days I've being experiencing what appears to be a sewer gas smell in the vicinity of my utility room (where boiler and washing machine are) and the nathroom which is adjacent. Gut feeling is that the smell originates in the utility room area but not 100% sure on that. First seemed to smell it after I turned off the boiler but think that is a coincidence.

Last night I poured some bleach and hot water down the pipe from which the washing machine hose sits. That pipe goes down into what looks like a P trap (I'm no expert!). Anyway the smell is still there today.

Have done a bit of research and read a lot about a smoke test that can help identify sources of where the sewer gas may be entering. As a result I think I'd like one done. Just a bit worried though that local plumbers (Pembrokeshire) won't have such a bit of kit. Is this something that just the larger firms tend to have? Any advice on that and the sewer gas issue would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gareth

Sponsored Links
I would strongly advise you firstly get the boiler and gas pipework checked ASAP by a gas engineer to ascertain there isn't a problem with it and it is safe to use. Ensure there isn't a fault or leak there before looking for anything else :!:

Smoke pellets will identify a break in the drain, but if the drainage system is vented properly then the likelihood of any amount of gas escaping into the building is pretty remote.

Sponsored Links
If there's a fridge or freezer in the vicinity, check the plastic tray over the black compressor canister at the back. They collect condensate, spillages and crud which all ferment in the heat from the motor, producing some awful pongs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back