Sewer gases kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8AED9A8D-5DCB-4957-8783-1DB7D78D9590.jpeg
I have installed a new sink but sewer gases are coming out of it or the piping and smelling the room. I hear it gurgling occasionally too.

Attached is a photo of the setup. The left P trap is for the dishwasher but smell seems to be coming from the sink. Anything that seems obviously wrong at first glance?

Sponsored Links
I expect your waste layout is wrong and water is getting siphoned out of sink or dishwasher trap.

Might well be one trap syphoning out the other doesn't look too bad though. Does the sink have an overflow? The gurgling may well be from your condensing boiler empting through the small pipe on the right which I guess is the condensate pipe.

Put a Deeper trap on the pipework and it will stop the smell.And put a better trap on the washing machine
pipe aswell.Bob

Sponsored Links
The sink trap looks shallow and might be being pulled by the dishwasher when it empties. I'd check that the pipework is draining freely and then put a deeper trap on the sink.

Why not run the washing m/c for a cycle then see see if the trap has been sucked out before changing anything?

What a contraption! I'd ditch the grey stuff, fit a decent P trap on the sink, and reconnect to the waste with a couple of bits of pipe and a bend. Fix standpipe to the wall while you're there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back