Sewer Line - Shed Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a shed: 3m wide and 5m long and 2.5m high, this will all be made out of timber. The shed will be used as a workshop and storage, it will not be used to store anything heavy (eg.cars) just hand and power tools.

There is a drain manhole (main drain) around 1/2ft from where the foundations will be. Therefore, the sewer line runs directly under where i am proposing to build the shed.

The depth of the manhole is around 1.4m deep i assume the pipe is that deep also. I have removed the slabs and around 6inches of soil, cement and rubble.

I plan to use sub base (MOT 1) to provide a strong base for the concrete to sit on top. The concrete base is going to be around 4inches thick i am thinking to include concrete reforcement to stop any cracking in the future.

The questions are :

Will i be allowed to build this shed on top of the sewer line? or would i need to obtain a build over agreement from the water company (Severn Trent) ? Is it possible to put concrete on top of this sewer line even tho the line is around 1.4m deep and i am only looking to build a 4inch concrete base?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for all the comments.

Sponsored Links
I am proposing to build over the Public sewer line, i am the corner house so i assume all waste feeds to this line and then out to the street. If they need access to the public sewer line i am guessing i would have to knock down the shed and they could dig up the concrete to gain access to the pipes below it? The man hole will not be covered and be accessible at all times.
It wouldn't be much of an effort as the concrete will only be 4inches thick.
By putting concrete on top could this affect the pipes below due to weight etc?

Thanks

I cant see a problem.

Dont apply for a build over agreement. You will need to be 500mm from the manhole I expect and footingsvwill need to be deeper than invert.

A slab isnt going to add much load, unlike a trench foundation.

Sponsored Links
Your shed will be OK without needing to have a build over agreement with ST. Loading is not an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back