Sewer pipe through foundations - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just started digging the trenches for the footings for my extension. There is a waste pipe that runs through the foundations as you will see in my picture (I couldn't rotate it so tip your head 90 degrees to the left). The pipe is the old clay style wastepipe, but when they originally laid it the encased it in concrete.

My question is will it be ok to leave it as it is, the concrete slab for the new foundations will pass under it so I don't see that it is a problem, but are building control going to cause me a headache when they see it?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to know who or what it serves. If it's a shared sewer then the water company will doubtless want to know what you propose and your BCO will also have an opinion.

Drains can be bridged, sleeved or moved, either way they can be dealt with.

The method of protecting the pipe will depend upon the depth and position of the pipe relative to the surrounding foundations.

As said, if this pipe is a 'sewer' then you may need to seek permission from the water company.

That footing trench looks a trifle narrow or is it my eyes.

Sponsored Links
Drains can be bridged, sleeved or moved, either way they can be dealt with.

The method of protecting the pipe will depend upon the depth and position of the pipe relative to the surrounding foundations.

As said, if this pipe is a 'sewer' then you may need to seek permission from the water company.

That footing trench looks a trifle narrow or is it my eyes.

It looks narrow, but it hasn't been fully excavated yet (will be today). The sewer also passes over a 90deg corner in the foundation. the trenches are all 600mm wide and vary from a metre deep to almost 2 metres as the garden is on a slope.

The water company is all sorted, no build over permission needed as I am at the head end of the sewer (no one up stream from me).

There is more than enough clearance under the pipe for the 9 inch deep concrete slab that makes up the foundation base around the extension to run under it leaving 150mm clearance between the top of the slab and the bottom of the pipe which I believe has to be there and then back filled?
Does this sound ok (or even make sense?)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back