Sewer pipe under boundary, need to erect fence!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly we have a 600mm sewer pipe right on the boundary between our house and next door. Previously there had been a tatty old hedge there.

Me and my neighbour would like to erect a fence but are unsure of the best way to do it.

The sewer is literally 30cm below ground level, it runs the length of the boundary and starts at one end on my side(just) and ends on his side(just). It couldn't be more awkward.

Any ideas of how to erect a fence?

Sponsored Links
Sadly we have a 600mm sewer pipe right on the boundary between our house and next door.

I would say "move the pipe or move the fence". But I think, at that size of pipe, there's no discussion.

Split the land, fence your side of the pipe halfway, then the neighbours side for the other half. So you basically end up nicking an equal bit of each others gardens. Come to an agreement and put it in writing.

Just about to suggest the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Don't think that's an option really. See diagram, the gap between my house and the actual boundary is just enough to walk down

2iggb2w.gif

30 cm is a foot. So why not clear the soil away and fill the hole with concrete onto the pipe. Then insert a concrete fix metpost into the concrete (whilst wet). Then when set fit your wooden post.

30 cm is a foot. So why not clear the soil away and fill the hole with concrete onto the pipe. Then insert a concrete fix metpost into the concrete (whilst wet). Then when set fit your wooden post.

That works, but I'd put the timber in the metpost before setting it in, support with about 3 bits of wood while concrete goes off. The timber post doesn't always go in straight into the socket, and you might end up with them all wonkey.
The bolt downs also work well if you put enough concrete down.

Don't think that's an option really. See diagram, the gap between my house and the actual boundary is just enough to walk down

But if you put the fence on your neighbours side of the pipe starting at the end of the wall in the bottom part of your drawing, then step the fence across the pipe to the right and continue the fence on your side of the pipe in the top half of your drawing you would gain space between your house and the new boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back