sewer smell around front door step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently we've been getting a bad sewer smell around the front door steps. Last year we had the front of the house re-paved and part of the work was the build a new two tier step. We were advised not to treat the bricks for the first year as salt etc can leak from them.

Membrane is placed between the bricks at the house so it doesn't breach our DPC and no foul smells are coming from the air block near the bay window.

Unfortunately the smell seems to be coming from the step. In the picture below you can see we have a small grid in the corner which didn't get touched by the ground work and has never been a problem. While towards the bottom of the picture is a grid system which yesterday I cleaned (removing all debris into a bucket - not washing it further into our sewers).

Cleaning these points hasn't resolved the issue and I'm wondering what course of action is best to take?

http://imgur.com/dBlobJA

Sponsored Links
This drains to a P trap that leads to a junction point where the other roof drains lead too. All sewage drains are at the back of the house and feed a different pipe system.

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd put an update to this. We finally resolved the issue.

It turns out that a sewer line (not our own) runs under our fence line and out to the road. A man hole cover under the fence was topped to the brim backed up and leaking on to the flower bed and washing into our rainwater drain.

united utilities has come out and found a block in the main drain and all is resolved. I had to repair the man hole cover as the concrete holding the metal casing and crumbled and the drive, drains and flower bed have been heavily washed down.

Result - no more smells :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back