Shack electrics advise please.

Sponsored Links
Some people really do seem to argue for the sake of arguing

MOD: We are watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portacabins are mobile buildings.
And using a plug and socket on a temporary shack type of structure is more hazardous or less reliable than on a mobile structure because?

To OP. I suggest you have an outside socket fitted, just like many thousands of other houses, and use it for your 'outside power requirements' - the same as many thousands of other households.

Ok, as it looks like it can be done the way I was suggesting, what would I need to buy for the electrian. I.e size of trip for house cu, type and size of cable to outside socket and of course best 32 amp socket?

Sponsored Links
All seems to be completely OTT. Just run an extension lead into the shack from the house. Try not to trip over the lead.

Some people really do seem to argue for the sake of arguing

MOD: We are watching.
Perhaps there should be a rule to cover the situation where A gives an opinion/offers advice/states a position and then B comes along and argues against it/says A is wrong/gives contrary advice/etc.

Should B not be allowed to do that? Should A be allowed to defend his position/explain his advice/etc?

At what point is A or B judged to be arguing for the sake of it?

Ok, as it looks like it can be done the way I was suggesting, what would I need to buy for the electrian.
Nothing, as he'll be able to get it cheaper.

I.e size of trip for house cu, type and size of cable to outside socket
Those must all be decided by your electrician.

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

and of course best 32 amp socket?
One which complies with 553.1.201

My mate works for a well known electrical supplies company, so probably not as cheap as mates rates, ie most likely a pint down the pub

For B to give contrary opinion/advice to that given by A is fine. To argue that the same considerations do not apply to supplying electricity to a portacabin as apply to a 'shack', on the grounds that the former is (technically, but not much more) 'a portable building' is, in my opinion, 'arguing for the sake of arguing'.

My mate works for a well known electrical supplies company, so probably not as cheap as mates rates, ie most likely a pint down the pub
In that case speak with the electrician for a list of parts, chances are (S)he will have a preference and will not appreciate being given a pile of bits to do the job with.

For B to give contrary opinion/advice to that given by A is fine. To argue that the same considerations do not apply to supplying electricity to a portacabin as apply to a 'shack', on the grounds that the former is (technically, but not much more) 'a portable building' is, in my opinion, 'arguing for the sake of arguing'.
Your opinion seems to disregard the fact that no matter how many similarities there are, and no matter how "technical" the differences which you wish to dismiss are, a "shack" is not a portable building. It really is not.

Nobody, including me, has said that the OP's proposal necessarily contravenes any regulations, but I do not believe that it is the right way to do it, and I reject the argument that because portable buildings are often "plugged in" it is OK for a non-portable one to be.

In any event, when portable buildings are connected that way (and my understanding is that they have an inlet connector, not a flying lead), how often is the supply via a flex laid on the ground, which is disconnected and rolled up when the building is not in use and/or to allow foot and wheeled traffic to pass over where the flex would lie?

And how acceptable would that arrangement be?

My final comments on this thread, unless OP asks for more help.
Your opinion seems to disregard the fact that no matter how many similarities there are, and no matter how "technical" the differences which you wish to dismiss are, a "shack" is not a portable building. It really is not.
My simplistic comparison:
Portakabins are delivered on transport, unloaded & assembled as required and stood on the ground. Sometimes they are stood on or bolted to a purpose laid concrete slab.
Sheds or shacks are delivered on transport, unloaded & assembled as required and stood on the ground. Sometimes they are stood on or bolted to a purpose laid concrete slab.
I know, I know... but not very much difference between them.

Another area for comparison is mobile homes, some sites simply offer a 63A metered socket for each plot.

Nobody, including me, has said that the OP's proposal necessarily contravenes any regulations, but I do not believe that it is the right way to do it, and I reject the argument that because portable buildings are often "plugged in" it is OK for a non-portable one to be.
I respect your opinion and whole heartedly accept that there is a wide a selection of better options, that is better in some respect or other. OP has stated he is reluctant to ruin the appearance of his existing drive for a temporary service, which is something I can easily comprehend. I too would try to avoid a horrible scar across an otherwise nice looking finish.
Another option which, I believe, has not been mooted to date is to run overhead, as the OP has indicated he carried tall loads in the trailer this may incur a planning application and all of the associated neighbourly objections and appeals that goes with it.

In any event, when portable buildings are connected that way (and my understanding is that they have an inlet connector, not a flying lead),
Usually but not always, and they are then often connected by using an extension lead. It depends on the specification and what is to hand when the last repair was made, I have certainly done this myself.
how often is the supply via a flex laid on the ground, which is disconnected and rolled up when the building is not in use and/or to allow foot and wheeled traffic to pass over where the flex would lie?
Frequently, I knew of one location where the 125/3 would be unplugged and pulled to one side at 06:55, the gates were opened to allow the trains to cross and then reinstated. The same would happen when the trains were put to bed at the end of the day.
Another where a large supply cable (armoured) with 6 sockets on a box is dragged across a car park on a Friday evening to power an assortment of portacabins, shipping containers and sheds, then retracted on Sunday evening.
Garden sheds are often powered by a trailing extension lead when required.

And how acceptable would that arrangement be?
Totally acceptable by many.

All seems to be completely OTT. Just run an extension lead into the shack from the house. Try not to trip over the lead.
I would not recommend this if you are doing welding as it really needs something better that a domestic extention lead

I have installed 2 setups like this. one is a 16A socket as the spare cable in the house was 2.5 for a lockup garage in a block. the other socket is 32A on a 32Arcbo for a temporary wooden office witch is the other side of a drive just like this shack but it doesnt seem to get that much use, the cable has to be unplugged becase the gate wont open with it plugged in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back