Shale/contaminant in boiler valve - worth getting a filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have a new combi boiler brought down by shale/contaminants in the gas supply.

All fixed under warranty, but not sure whether the issue will have been fully resolved by a recent internal pipework upgrade from 22mm to 28mm, or if the cause will be upstream in the meter or supply.

Boiler guy blew out what he could, but I want to ask the forum about their experience of natural gas filters, magnetic or otherwise, and whether it would be worth getting one fitted.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Magnetic filters are for CH system water , not for the gas supply, the shale is coming from the gas mains supply and only the gas transporter can install a filter on it

Yes, the boiler guy mentioned magnetic, but i can only find y strainers and Sulphidation Filters.

Yes, the boiler guy mentioned magnetic, but i can only find y strainers and Sulphidation Filters.
Yes Y strainers are the most common, the shale or black dust as it is sometimes known, comes from the days when cast iron mains pipes were used and it is a dust that was created by them, but according to transporters now it doesnt exist, but I assure you it does, admittedly not so common now as most mains are now PE, but some areas are worse than others

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back