Shallow sink question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Has anyone had or installed a shallow sink.

I've seen a rectangular sink which is only about 40-50 mm deep.

I really like it but not sure if it's a wise choice in respect of splashes etc.

Your opinions would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like a deep draining board, than a shallow sink.

The bowl will look funny

I have seen something similar in a bakery.

I have an idea it was for hand-kneading or ingredient prep, easily washed out.

No good for washing up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys you have valid responses and I personally had the same concerns.
I guess I should have also mentioned it's for a bathroom use only.

I guess for a bathroom it should be OK wouldn't you?
Granted it won't hold much water for stuff like shaving but still do able?

Is the underside flat (so it'll sit on top of a worktop or cupboard or something)- if so then I can see the point. Only problem you might have is if the Mrs still insists on washing her hair in the sink (or if you've got kids and the same). 50mm is plenty deep enough for shaving, cleaning teeth etc, if you do set it on a cupboard it might be an idea to tile or glaze the wood since it will get a LOT of splash action :)

Yep its a dead straight underneath. It's about 53 cm wide so it's has a largeish covering

If you like it and you're going to live there then crack on- if it goes wrong then replacing a basin isn't a massive job.

One thing you could try- get a medium size roller tray (they're not quite as wide but the depth is about right) and try shaving etc using it, see how messy it gets (or not, we might all be surprised) :)

I have a pair of them in my ensuite. Thought about it like you are, but have no issues at all. And they look good.

Hi Charliegolf

Do you have pictures? Did you have to install any special taps

Mine is an IKEA thing, one-piece, side by side made out of sort of reconstituted mineral/ceramicky stuff. I'll work out how to get a pic. One hole in each sink, so restricted to that kind of tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back