[Shameless Request] Please help me calculate decking quantity...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Right, before we get started, you should know that I'm beyond useless with maths of any sort. Even basic stuff. It's just not my area.

Area, however, is why I'm here. I'm going to do my decking, and I've measured up as follows:

It's an L-shape, consisting of a 3x3m square, with a 2x1.3m rectangle coming off it. (The boards run lengthways @ 1.3m each, if that makes sense - rather than being 2m long)

So I calculate that as being 11.6m² total. Which at 125mm boards means I'd need 91m of decking in total.

The confusing bit:

If I buy a kit of 3x4.2m, will I have enough coverage? 3x4.2 = 12.6, which suggests I'd have 1m² worth left over. But am I failing to factor in wastage?

Can't wrap my head around how much I should buy. Any help would be massively appreciated.

many thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Check what size boards come in the pack.

If they providing 4.2m long boards then you’re going to have issues because you’ll cut the boards to 3m for your main square and you’ll be left with a load of 1.2m off-cuts.

You could of course halve the 4.2m boards and then mess around with the cuts to achieve what you want but more faffing.

Why not actually buy the right size/number of boards rather that a kit of a certain area?

without drawing a plan and working out exactly what your doing and where you can use the offcuts you wont know
a 125 board is preworked size and likely to be nearer 118wide plus expansion gap you allow
if you want your screw properly lined and uniform you cant add an extra short spaced timber to use up the odd 300 here and there

Check what size boards come in the pack.

If they providing 4.2m long boards then you’re going to have issues because you’ll cut the boards to 3m for your main square and you’ll be left with a load of 1.2m off-cuts.

You could of course halve the 4.2m boards and then mess around with the cuts to achieve what you want but more faffing.

Why not actually buy the right size/number of boards rather that a kit of a certain area?

Thanks buddy - I only ask because the "kit" is looking like a good price on ebay currently, so thought it might be a quick win. But you're right - it'd be better going to a proper yard and having them cut to length I expect. I've seen plenty of places selling 3m lengths so that's probably my best bet here.

cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
without drawing a plan and working out exactly what your doing and where you can use the offcuts you wont know
a 125 board is preworked size and likely to be nearer 118wide plus expansion gap you allow
if you want your screw properly lined and uniform you cant add an extra short spaced timber to use up the odd 300 here and there

Thanks buddy - as above, I think I'll go to a yard with my plan drawn out and have them do the cuts. Just have to measure right, then that saves all the cutting when they reach me

ta
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back