Shared 'earth' cabling with sub-mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, this is hopefully a straightforward question which shouln't result in a long thread :) ....

Can anyone see any problem with having the 'earth' (not sure whether one should call it that, CPC or what) accompanying sub-mains (i.e. from MET to the 'distant' CU/DB) partially shared by two sub-mains/DBs - in other words, a cable which goes from MET to one 'distant' DB, then on from there to a second one?

The only issues I can think of would relate to testing, and they can presumably addressed by adequate labelling of the cables.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Why not use an 'earth block' just before CU1 the separate cables to each CU? This way testing, changes etc can be done to either without completely removing protection. Reduces cables in CU and tightening/checking is easier.

Why not use an 'earth block' just before CU1 the separate cables to each CU? This way testing, changes etc can be done to either without completely removing protection. Reduces cables in CU and tightening/checking is easier.
If when you say 'CU1' you mean the first of the 'remote' (i.e.served by sub-main) CUs, then that is precisely the arrangement I am talking about.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John,
From your wording, I thought that you meant the that the cable from the MET went to the earth connection within CU1 (yes, that nearest the MET/meter) and then continued to CU2. This would mean that to work on CU1, you may have to disable the earthing to CU2. With an earth block at the side of CU1 (not the MET which is at the start of the sub main), then one CPC cable would go to MET, one to CU1 and another to CU2 thus providing an earth. Hope this makes sense.
Regards
V

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
From your wording, I thought that you meant the that the cable from the MET went to the earth connection within CU1 (yes, that nearest the MET/meter) and then continued to CU2. This would mean that to work on CU1, you may have to disable the earthing to CU2.
No, I didn't mean that. Sorry if I was not clear.
With an earth block at the side of CU1 (not the MET which is at the start of the sub main), then one CPC cable would go to MET, one to CU1 and another to CU2 thus providing an earth. Hope this makes sense.
Sure, not only does that make sense, but it's the very arrangement I was trying to describe :). I therefore take it that, as I had assumed, there is no problem in CU1 and CU2 sharing the same connection back to the MET?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, misunderstood first post. No legal/regulation problems as far as I know and I've this arrangement in my own house so that circuits can be changed as the house is rebuilt bit by bit.
Regards
V

Sorry, misunderstood first post. No legal/regulation problems as far as I know and I've this arrangement in my own house so that circuits can be changed as the house is rebuilt bit by bit.
Thanks for confirming.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back