shared sewer through foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know this has been covered and I have read a few things but just to clarify in my mind what is required by regs. We will early next year be starting a rear extension. The shared sewer for a few houses will run through the foundations approx 100mm above base of trench at 90 degrees. Am I right in saying I shutter the full depth and obviously width of trench either side of the pipe back fill with pea shingle then lintel straight on top of concrete, then build straight on top of lintel. In other words the lintel sits on the surface of the concrete. One last thing what size lintel is used please. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The sewer you mention will almost certainly be a public sewer.
You will need to obtain consent from your local water authority to build over the public sewer and pay a fee as they will want to inspect the work to make sure it's done properly. I belive you will also need to get full plans building regs approval, not a building notice.

Hi thanks for your reply. I believe that it collects from about four houses including ours before connecting to the main sewer. I think soul be classed as a 'non critical' as only 110 diameter not 225. I think I read somewhere that the local authority still deal.with these? I forgot to mention also that it already has a 1960's sun room built over it.which will be demolished. Many thanks Jon

Sponsored Links
Excellent, yet another bit of red tape! Thanks for your help with this. Other than this would the way of covering the drain be correct obviously after consultation. Thanks Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back