Sharing broadband with tenant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had many tenants asking for broadband when wanting to rent a room.

How do I provide wireless internet to all the rooms without each room person able to see each other. Also having some sort of bandwidth limit so one person doesn't hog the internet?

Sponsored Links
With difficulty :( I'm sure it's possible but I doubt any ordinary home router is capable of it without some serious hackery. It could posibly be done with something like openwrt but it won't be easy.

With the greatest of ease, actually. A WRT54GL (easily available, ~£50) and DDwrt (free.) will do it, and it simply requires ticking a few boxes.

thanks for that, I will look into the software and hardware. Is it stable? Have you used it before?

Sponsored Links
[code:1]Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std
Time: 09:09:43 up 22 days, 23:32, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
WAN: Disabled[/code:1]

I'd say it's stable, yes. 23 days ago would be when the service fuse was out..

I rang virgin and they were telling me that, if i just stick a wireless router, everybody will able to use the internet but not access each others computer. Is that true or just fibs?

I rang virgin and they were telling me that, if i just stick a wireless router, everybody will able to use the internet but not access each others computer. Is that true or just fibs?

A load of bull if the router doesn't support client isolation. I don't know what does and doesn't support it, beyond the fact that DD-WRT does.

They might be able to see that other computers are sharing the router, but they should not be able to see what's ON the other computers unless file sharing is turned on on the computer.

They might be able to see that other computers are sharing the router, but they should not be able to see what's ON the other computers unless file sharing is turned on on the computer.

It's Windows. And people who use Windows. Any network access at all is unacceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back