Sharing cost of new fence with neighbour

Sponsored Links
Not everyone wants to scam others.
When I had to replace my fence (it's entirely on my land) I spoke to my neighbour regarding what style he would prefer.
Eventually we agreed that a brick wall would look a lot better and be virtually maintenance free on both sides.
He offered to split the cost, but I ended up buying the material and we built the wall together with his son digging the trench for fundations, mixing the mortar and doing the heavy work.
He insisted on splitting the bill, but I didn't accept it, also because he was providing "refreshments" during the work.
It worked out perfectly and we were both happy.
His brother is a builder, but he didn't even ask me if I wanted to use his services.

I've looked and title deeds just show the boundary line and not ownership of fence lines, frustratingly
I've talked to a couple of mates (building surveyor & QS) and my understanding is that marking the responsibility for fence lines is relatively recent thing (maybe since the 70s) and is far from universal even now.

So someone could think it is common if it is marked on their plan but that is not the case and it will be very rare on older properties.

No arguments over boundaries or ownership
IANAL but I think what you did only applies to that particular fence. If the next owner of your property let it fall into disrepair or just took it down it would have no impact on what the various owners did.

Not sure what IANAL means, (hope it's not a rude suggestion! :LOL: :LOL: ), but the guy at the back decided to build his own fence 12" away from mine because he didn't want to paint someone else's property. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
If it’s your fence and it blows down it’s still your fence regardless off how it was paid for.

I've looked and title deeds just show the boundary line and not ownership of fence lines, frustratingly
Your local council will have details of how boundary responsibility is assigned. If as you said you are at the end and you are responsible for fence adjacent the neighbours then you are responsible for all your fences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back