Sharing cost of new fence with neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my neighbour came round today and said the fence is loose. He mentioned it's my fence line, which sounds right (I'm a new owner, corner plot still trying to work out which fence is mine, but this one definitely is)

The ground is a lot higher on my side of the fence - ideally we'd need a proper retaining wall put in first. He did offer to help split the cost of the work and refer a builder he knows to get cheaper labour costs.

On paper this sounds great, but what is the legal grounds of this regarding fence ownership If we end up sharing the cost? Who is liable for its maintenance, replacement and any risks if the fence falls down damaging property or causing injury?

Should I accept this offer, or just pay up front for its full replacement on my own?

Sponsored Links
If the fence fell down causing damage your insurance would cover it.
You have insurance don't you!
My neighbour and I regularly split the cost of replacement panels. I don't worry too much about what happens in the event of injury or damage as I have insurance.

If the fence fell down causing damage your insurance would cover it.
You have insurance don't you!
My neighbour and I regularly split the cost of replacement panels. I don't worry too much about what happens in the event of injury or damage as I have insurance.
I do have insurance, yeah! Just thinking of how splitting the cost works for maintenance, if the fence is damaged due to wind, or if the wall is damaged his side - who foots the bill, etc in those scenarios.

I do have insurance, yeah! Just thinking of how splitting the cost works for maintenance, if the fence is damaged due to wind, or if the wall is damaged his side - who foots the bill, etc in those scenarios.
You could write an agreement and both sign it.

There are some online legal ”just ask” type websites that might draw up such an agreement.

or you could just word something yourself.

Sponsored Links
We go fifty, fifty

So my neighbour came round today and said the fence is loose. He mentioned it's my fence line, which sounds right (I'm a new owner, corner plot still trying to work out which fence is mine, but this one definitely is)

The ground is a lot higher on my side of the fence - ideally we'd need a proper retaining wall put in first. He did offer to help split the cost of the work and refer a builder he knows to get cheaper labour costs.
Just be careful there's no funny business going on with brown envelopes and getting his mate to do the work!

Just be careful there's no funny business going on with brown envelopes and getting his mate to do the work!
Yeah. It did seem a bit odd the neighbour offered to split the cost that quickly. When it comes time to do the fence I think I'll pay it all my side to ensure it's done to how I want/secure in the knowledge it's all as expected.

Sure there isn't any ulterior motive, but better safe than sorry!

exactly my thoughts quietly get at least one other quote and don't be surprised if the neighbour's quote is massive in comparison to allow for the job and a backhander unless there is another agenda by connection or manipulation off the situation
now i may be wrong but people are seldom that helpful and want to put their hard-earned cash in someone elses pocket without a known commitment [ a very very nice and honest neighbour] or an ulterior motive

Last edited:
Thanks all for the insights! Will definitely look at getting my own quote. In his defence he did say if wasn't an urgent thing, something to consider when it was affordable so maybe no ulterior motive - but who knows. After consideration, I'd rather be solely responsible for things like this, even if it costs me more to do.

Thanks all for the insights! Will definitely look at getting my own quote. In his defence he did say if wasn't an urgent thing, something to consider when it was affordable so maybe no ulterior motive - but who knows. After consideration, I'd rather be solely responsible for things like this, even if it costs me more to do.
it will also give you full control off the quality 'position' and height within regs like 2m high on your side

people are seldom that helpful and want to put their hard-earned cash in someone elses pocket
Might want a say in the fence detail. My neighbour put an outbuilding on my boundary line, a wood store; I asked what the roof material was to be and he said he was considering wiggly tin. I offered to pay the uplift for slate plus his extra time installing it, purely because I have to look at it..

Many years ago I asked my neighbours on all 3 sides if they wanted to share the costs of a new fence. None of them did.
So I got to choose what I wanted, how high it would be, what colour I would stain it and the good side all round facing me.
I also got the 3 of them to sign a document stating that I had paid for the supply and installation of the whole fence. This was attached to the deeds of my house when I sold it. No arguments over boundaries or ownership.

Wouldn't the Land Registry have a record of who owns which side of the property?
Maybe worth checking to make sure your neighbour isn't trying to halve his costs.

Wouldn't the Land Registry have a record of who owns which side of the property?
Maybe worth checking to make sure your neighbour isn't trying to halve his costs.
I've looked and title deeds just show the boundary line and not ownership of fence lines, frustratingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back