Sharp Aquos 15inch LCD Flat screen Colour Television

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The above was purchased in the US...and I am wondering how easy it is to adapt to use in the UK. And whether it is expensive to do.

Sponsored Links
It will not work the Americans use the NTSC system and we use the PAL system, the 2 are not compatable.

I'm sure it'll work if you use a scart lead

it may do, but how will you see the picture through all the smoke?

American appliances run on 110v ac 60 hz, ours are 230 v ac 50hz

Sponsored Links
OK, there is a yes and no coming.

The power supply is no problem. LCD TVs use a dc power supply inside the device. So, if the power supply is an external "brick", you can just buy a 230V version. If you want to use the supplied power supply, use a UK to USA mains adaptor.

You will not be able to watch TV from the inbuilt tuner.

Read the manual to see if the TV has a "PAL playback mode". If it does, then you can connect a VCR, DVD, freeview box or whatever to the video inputs (either composite c-video, or s-vhs).

If it does not have a PAL mode, you may be able to use certain DVD players switched to "NTSC mode", but I couldn't tell you of any.

The SCART lead suggestion won't work because another name for a SCART is a "Euroconnector", and seeing as the US insisted on developing their own mobile phone networks because they didn't trust the "foreign" GSM technology, they certainly wouldn't trust our superior RGB video technology over their S-VHS jack.

In case anyone is in Japan and decides to buy a TV, beware. Japan also use the NTSC standard. However they also have a connection standard that uses the same style connector as the SCART. But it isn't the same!

I might have some good news. I happened to be reading a website on games consoles where I read the following:

"The picture synchronization in most modern PAL TV's has enough latitude to cope with either a 525/60hz signal or a 625/50hz signal"

If the converse is true, your TV would work if you connect a Freeview box or VCR to it through the composite video or supervideo connector. Then you could use the box or VCR as your "tuner".

Give it a go, see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back