Sharp or soft sand for bedding shower tray on a weak mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all - I'm about to fit a stone shower tray that advises bedding down on a weak mix. After reading previous threads on the subject I know I've to use a 5:1 mix but found conflicting advice on whether to use sharp or soft builders sand. I'd appreciate if someone could give a definitive answer (and perhaps the reason/s for (not) using one or the other) - I'd hate to be re-fitting/re-placing the shower tray at a future date :eek: .

Thanks in advance.

Antony

Sponsored Links
Use soft sand; stone resin trays are relatively brittle & the point of bedding them on a weak mix is to ensure they are fully & evenly supported so there are no stress points. The last thing you want is to create potential stress points on the underside of the tray & this is more of a risk if sharp sand is used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back