1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharp or soft sand for bedding shower tray on a weak mix

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Antony2008, 6 Apr 2009.

1. Antony2008

Antony2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good morning all - I'm about to fit a stone shower tray that advises bedding down on a weak mix. After reading previous threads on the subject I know I've to use a 5:1 mix but found conflicting advice on whether to use sharp or soft builders sand. I'd appreciate if someone could give a definitive answer (and perhaps the reason/s for (not) using one or the other) - I'd hate to be re-fitting/re-placing the shower tray at a future date :eek: .

Thanks in advance.

Antony

2. Sponsored Links
  3. kevplumb

kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    soft sand don't have lumps ;)

4. Richard C

Richard C

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use soft sand; stone resin trays are relatively brittle & the point of bedding them on a weak mix is to ensure they are fully & evenly supported so there are no stress points. The last thing you want is to create potential stress points on the underside of the tray & this is more of a risk if sharp sand is used.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local