Sharp sand in mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question for the experienced builders on here...

I'm having an extension done and my builder is using sharp sand for the mortar mix and says this is equally as good as using building sand and that as it's all being rendered over, the colour whont be seen anyway. Is this true and is it acceptable? I've never heard of it being done before

Sponsored Links
He's making hard work for himself not using building sand. Washed and sharp sands were fine when lime mortar as being used, but with cement mortars they are not so easy to use.
Is he an experienced bricklayer?

He's making hard work for himself not using building sand. Washed and sharp sands were fine when lime mortar as being used, but with cement mortars they are not so easy to use.
Is he an experienced bricklayer?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, there's two guys and they're both very experienced bricklayers (from Poland) and are doing a very tidy job. Mortar is designed to be weaker than the blockwork and hence any movement doesn't crack the blocks, so my main concern is if concrete is too strong and the blocks cracked with any future movement.

Sponsored Links
There is an inherent inflexibility with sharp sand mixes, which could lead to cracking in months/years to come as the building moves naturally. This will be even with weaker mixes

I can't think of why he would use sharp sand by choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back