sharpening/honing stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my current stone is about knackered and im wanting to upgrade, i really dont like dimond stones, just dont like using them dunno why, i want a double sided stone 8x2 or 3,

anything i should look out for?
any suggestions would be greatley appreciated :)

thanks
tom

Sponsored Links
You can re-vitalise worn stones, just rub on a concrete paving slab in a figure of eight motion, keeping the stone wet, that is of course if it's not too far gone.

Wotan

hi guys, i think it is totally gone, a mate at work borrowed it and must have thought it was ok not to use oil :rolleyes:
it is about 3mm lower at one end than the other and is about 2mm lower than that in the middle, dont know how the hell he has been shown how to sharpen, nothing of mine is ever been lent to anyone again

any reccomendations to a stone, was looking for an india oilstone (think thats what they are called)

thanks
tom

Sponsored Links
learn something new every day,
didnt know you dould redress them like that.

tinytom,yes thats what you should be looking for.

must have thought it was ok not to use oil :rolleyes:
it is about 3mm lower at one end than the other and is about 2mm lower than that in the middle

any reccomendations to a stone, was looking for an india oilstone

What only 2mm ! :eek:
I still have my original two sided india and the dip in the middle is more than that, but I can still get a loverly edge on it. I have periodically tried to level it off but always seem to run out of time and need to sharpen something :rolleyes: You can't go wrong with an india really they are a good all rounder. I also have grey waterstone which will put an absolute cracking edge on a tool but can almost be watched wearing away.
I don't use oil on my stones either , I use turpentine with just enough oil in it to colour it to same shade a summer wee :eek: Keeps the stone clean but Just don't leave it lieing around when the labourer comes in cleaning up and starts talking about "which dirty b*****d has done this?"
Much sharpening is to do with technique too, I've also used fine sandpaper , slabs and slateto get an edge at a push at times.

thanks ladylola, ive never heard of anyone using turps for lubricating a stone, will have to try it when i get a new stone, ive used cooking oil a few times when ive really needed to sharpen a chisel or plane iron and have no time to go and get oil. :LOL:

do you know where i can get one for as cheap as possible?
i know i sound like a cheapskate but there is no point in spending money that dosent need to be spent :)

thanks
tom

still think you can save it, get some very corse paper to start of with on a flat surface like a pane of glass, and it will soon be flat.

ok merlin will have a go, does it need to be lubricated?
and will 80 grit mirka paper be ok for flattening it?
thanks for the help
tom

ive got a couple of dmt stones and a faithful (diamond block)which i use with water,and my old india stone which is soaked with oil.i just add a bit more when needed then clean off the muck.

yes use oil on the stone when you use the stone to sharpen a blade. when you want to flatten the stone use wet and dry paper on a flat surface and rub the stone on the paper using water. simples

yes use oil on the stone when you use the stone to sharpen a blade. when you want to flatten the stone use wet and dry paper on a flat surface and rub the stone on the paper using water. simples

cheers m8 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back