shaver socket reposition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, little question i want to move the shaver socket in my bathroom 10cm to the right to allow for a bigger mirror, the socket will be at the same height and will be further away from the sink area and sources of water, is this notifiable work? as there is no alterations been made to wiring but it is in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Nope, not notifiable.

However, the cable run must remain in an area vertical or horizontal from the socket and the circuit must be covered by an RCD.

not notifiable,
but there may be a snag. does the cable come down the wall vertically?
How do you plan to extend the cable to the new position?
What will happen to the old shaver socket box?
Is circuit RCD-protected?

The cable does come down the wall vertically and it also runs off to the right hand side at the top of the plaster board to the next light fitting as I've been up with my enderscope to have a look at the routing so no need to extend cable will just end up with some slack in the cable as the socket will also be moving to thd right hand side.
The shaver socket box is is one of those plastic ones that clamps into the plaster board not a metal box screwed to the wall so will just be removing the box patching up the hole then cutting a new hole to the right and clamping it back in.
It is all red protected.

Sponsored Links
However, the cable run must remain in an area vertical or horizontal from the socket and the circuit must be covered by an RCD.
I wonder why? And how? Since the supply from a shaver socket is an IT supply with no connection to earth, any RCD on the output would not work as impossible to get an imbalance, so seems rather pointless having one for the shaver socket, although for the supply to the shaver socket yes.

Same as fitting a RCD to the 8 volt SELV door bell supply, rather pointless.

I wonder why? And how? Since the supply from a shaver socket is an IT supply with no connection to earth, any RCD on the output would not work as impossible to get an imbalance, so seems rather pointless having one for the shaver socket, although for the supply to the shaver socket yes.

You misunderstand. Surely we are talking about the supply TO the shaver point. That must comply with cable zones. It is only the output of a shaver point that has (what you know as IT) protection.

I have never seen a concealed cable run from the output of a shaver point! But (I expect) that cable zone regulations must be followed even in IT installations.

Yes.

Shavers are not SELV.

I am not sure why anyone would want a doorbell in the bathroom but were the bell transformer in the same position as the shaver, the situation would be exactly the same.

"701.411.3.3 Additional protection by RCDs
Additional protection by the use of one or more RCDs having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1
shall be provided for low voltage circuits:
(i) serving the location
(ii) passing through zones 1 and/or 2 not serving the location."

I wonder why? And how? Since the supply from a shaver socket is an IT supply with no connection to earth, any RCD on the output would not work as impossible to get an imbalance, so seems rather pointless having one for the shaver socket .....
I think you're getting confused. I don't think anyone has suggested that the output of the shaver socket should be RCD-protected (even if there was a way of doing that!) - since, as you say, it would achieve nothing. However, as you've been reminded, there is a requirement for any cable in a bathroom, even if only 'passing though'' and not serving anything in the room, to be RCD-protected - so, as you go on to say...
, although for the supply to the shaver socket yes
As above, quite so - and I'm sure that was what EFLI and TTC were talking about
As above, and as has been said by others, we are talking about the regulation requiring RCD protection of cables in, or merely 'passing through', a bathroom - so if the cable supplying a 'door bell supply' passed through a bathroom, it would have to be RCD-protected (to protect the cable, clearly not the output of the SELV supply).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back