Shaving 0.5 cm from concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have removed the gas fire and chairback etc from the chimney breast and are left with a recess that varies from 61.5 to 62 cm wide. It is lined with concrete blocks. How can I shave the necessary 0.5 cm to get an alcove that is 62 cm wide ( or a tiny bit more) - the inset woodburner we're looking to get fitted needs a 62 cm opening. Scutch chisel in an SDS drill? Conventional spade chisel in an SDS drill? House is late 80s built with concrete block inner wall and brick outer skin.

Sponsored Links
Surely, by the time you have had to chop enough to allow for wall finishes it will be better to re-build the opening?

I'll be leaving the blocks raw; it's an inset/cassette unit so the blocks won't be visible.

Rebuilding the opening is one possibility but one beyond my abilities (I think). But making lots of small pieces of concrete from larger ones is right up my street. :)

Sponsored Links
Roto-stop and bolster chisel it is then.

By bolster I reckon you mean conventional rather than scutch? And narrow or wider? I used a narrow chisel in the SDS drill to good effect to dismantle the monster brick and tile hearth one piece at a time and then to remove the blocks and chairback for the gas fire. So a little more SDS work will be like old times.

if mess in not an issue, a 9" angle grinder will be qcuik and easy for that...if the bricks are hard, you might dislodge a few so have to then cment them back in....
Have you measured (or had measured) the casette as you might find you can get away with it as is...if it really IS 620mm then you might want to releive the 62mm gap as well especially if it's not square or that might bind as well...

The manufacturer of the inset staes it's 61cm wide but needs. 62cm opening to allow for expansion. I'll also need to sure the walls are square.

An angle grinder will create more dust than my dust extractor can cope with and will get me in serious trouble. Don't want/need to repeat that experience!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back