'Shaving' a carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I haven't totally lost it :cautious:
Our cat doesn't claw furniture, fabrics etc. but can on occasions seek attention by clawing the carpet, usually in selected areas. Fortunately the carpets (only laid 5 years ago) are of heavy domestic quality so no real damage has yet been done, but we are go to have them cleaned in the spring & I just wondered if there existed a device, like a heavy duty men's shaver, that would remove the roughened areas that have received puss's attention. Probably a daft idea, but I thought I'd pose it anyway as it might give readers a laugh at my expense :cry:

Happy New Year folks.

Sponsored Links
You can indeed get carpet shears, but the piles probably been ****ed, so probably a non starter.

Try a beard trimmer that has different length comb attachments.

Sponsored Links
You might want to consider making or buying your cat a horizontal scratching board to prevent this in future. We had three cats, two of which were "vertical scratchers" and would happily use a vertical scratch post. The third one was awkward and insisted on using the carpets. An offcut of chipboard wrapped with an old carpet offcut stapled on (at the back) and smeared from time to time with catnip more or less cured him - well 95%.

You might want to consider making or buying your cat a horizontal scratching board to prevent this in future. We had three cats, two of which were "vertical scratchers" and would happily use a vertical scratch post. The third one was awkward and insisted on using the carpets. An offcut of chipboard wrapped with an old carpet offcut stapled on (at the back) and smeared from time to time with catnip more or less cured him - well 95%.

Our cat is a vertical scratcher & makes good use of his pole, weighing in at over 6kg (big build cat, not fat) you can imagine the state of the pole!
Did you horizontal scratcher also go vertical as well?

Did you horizontal scratcher also go vertical as well?
We'd already bought a vertical cat scratcher post for his two sisters nd he did use it, but not that often, preferring to scratch horizontally. The other thing is that the vertical post was string wound - the horizontal one had carpet. Possibly the tactile sensation was different? He was certainly a big so and so, about 14 lbs (or getting on for Maine Coon size) but as soft as warm putty

We'd already bought a vertical cat scratcher post for his two sisters nd he did use it, but not that often, preferring to scratch horizontally. The other thing is that the vertical post was string wound - the horizontal one had carpet. Possibly the tactile sensation was different? He was certainly a big so and so, about 14 lbs (or getting on for Maine Coon size) but as soft as warm putty

Sounds like he was similar in size to ours' I don't know about any pedigree as we 'inherited' him from a deceased neighbour 9 years ago, but he has a lot of Norwegian Forest cat in him ie double coat, big fluffy tail, large paws with fur between his pads & an unbelievably laid back attitude to life :rolleyes:

Yes our cats have a scratching post but they seem to enjoy scratching the sofa and the carpet as well. I have had some success in tidying up the tats with a good quality pair of kitchen scissors, laid flat on the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back