Shaving socket from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a shaving socket in the bathroom, my lighting has no earth. I have a 3amp fused switch in the cupboard next to bathroom which feeds the boiler, could I use this for the shaver.

Sponsored Links
Not from the same fused spur, since the shaver socket has a very small load I'd suggest a 2nd fuse spur is fitted and the cable run from the load side to the shaver point.

Shaver points require a 40mm deep back box.

You should also provide equipotential bonding from the shaver socket to any metal pipe work in the bathroom.

I have been looking in screwfix and there is a socket that is fused do I need a FCU prior still
Crabtree Shaver Skt Blk Ins Pol Chrome Flat Plate Stylish, low profile design with screwless metal front plate. Interior fixes in place first, allowing neater decoration around product before fitting front plate. All switches have large, solid brass concave rockers. Switched connection unit also has captive fuse holder. Switches fit 16mm back box, sockets 25mm back box.
Low Profile Design
First Fix, Second Fix Solution
Screws Concealed behinf Front Plate
Removable Clip-On Front Plate

Please, I don't have a crystal ball. Post the link and a picture and I'll try to help further.

Do you mean this ??????????????????????????

p2654898_x.jpg

I would ask you why you have posted, since you seem certain that you know best.

As I have already mentioned, you should NOT feed 2 loads from 1 fspur, so it's academic as to the Crabtree unit in screwfix (which does NOT appear to be the switched variety mentioned in the Screwfix descriptive with in line fuse). You need to provide a 3a fspur to feed the cable to it's end point where the shaver socket is required.

You MUST provide equipotential bonding (or run the risk of electrocution) and you SHOULD not be doing bathroom (wet are) electrics without being aware of the regs and the fact that as an unqualified person you should not be doing the work.

Hint, certificates and test results :rolleyes:

Look on the DIYNot Wiki and read up on bathrooms, zones and regs.

I've got the hump now, have you an understanding of the words 'please' or 'thanks'.

Sponsored Links
OK chris obviously still bad off last night,
* No I do not think you have a crystal ball
* I meant feed from a existing socket on landing instead of boiler
* (Sorry) for the mis-understanding If I was certain I new best then I would not be on this site.
* Maybe you could maybe find a site somewhere which would learn you not to jump to conclusions on other peoples minds and thoughts or maybe just get a crystal ball anyway.
* I will use a more helpful site which does not criticize so much!

if the boiler is on its own circuit leave it as such.dont tap off it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back