Shaving light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a shaving light in my bathroom above the sink.

I have a shaving socket next to the sink and I have connected a 60w shaving light to it by plugging it in to the front socket, but the light dims after about 1min of use then cuts out. after switching it off it works again after a few minuets.

can you tell me why this is and is there anything i can do to stop this happening? I don't want to drill holes in the wall and run a new wire as i am in rented accommodation.

cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
It's because there's an isolation transformer behind the socket, and it's designed for nowhere near a 60w load. I'm amazed it lit at anywhere near full brightness at all. Basically you can't have a light without altering the fixed wiring, which you can't do in your rented property. Put a mirror in another well lit room and shave there.

thank you for the response, do you have any idea what sort of load they can take what if I was to put in a lower watt bulb? or failing that can I connect it directly to the shaving socket?

Sponsored Links
Most shaver sockets have something written on the front, or a graphic.

It usually says something meaningful like "shavers only". Your light is not a shaver. End of discussion.

It usually says something meaningful like "shavers only". Your light is not a shaver. End of discussion.

that does not help me at all, do you have nothing better to do?

that does not help me at all, do you have nothing better to do?

OK, read the post from BAS.

Shaver points will drive shavers. They are very low current.

Shaver points are designed for a maximum load of 20watts

Any other method will involve you altering the electruical fixed wiring in the bathroom (a special location).
This will mean you have to notify the local authority (and paying a large fee) or using a registered elecrician. That is because of this //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Hmmmm.

If the landlord has any sense he'll want the work to comply with the Building Regulations, which will add a few £'00 to the cost of a DIY installation...

Hmmmm.

If the landlord has any sense he'll want the work to comply with the Building Regulations, which will add a few £'00 to the cost of a DIY installation...

Landlords are notoriously tight so might go for the cheaper option.

I was assuming that the landlord would be so tight that he wouldn't pay for anything, i.e. if Tom wants something like that done Tom pays for it.

And does it either by employing a registered electrician or by notifying and DIYing and makes good to a standard that the landlord considers acceptable.

Why not use a energy saving bulb? Like 8watt one? simple solution??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back