Shed 10cm in front of Flue exhaust - Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've just moved into a house where there is a a Baxi boiler ( not a combi) installed into a garage that is directly exhausting onto a shed, and the shed has signs of heat damage on it. My original plan was to move the shed, but that's not as easy as I had hoped as they placed it down on wet cement, so it's cemeted to the ground :S

Also, the boiler doesn't have a terminal guard on it, which i believe is required?

So - looking for options to redirect the flue away from the shed, so that the flue is pointed upwards, but that then increases the chance of debris in it?

Do i need an official PMK (if i can get one suitable), or is a terminal guard and a piece of alu bend and standing off the off the shed and direct the flue upwards likely acceptable?

I have a service booked in 2 weeks time, but want to try and offset any advisories now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You won't get a plume management kit for that, it's too old, and a DIY extension with untested parts will make it even more likely that the service engineer will shut it down.

Is it in a single storey? If so, you *might* be able to obtain a vertical flue kit for it although it's probably obsolete. Failing that, the shed needs to go... You've got two weeks, it won't take that long!

You won't get a plume management kit for that, it's too old, and a DIY extension with untested parts will make it even more likely that the service engineer will shut it down.

Is it in a single storey? If so, you *might* be able to obtain a vertical flue kit for it although it's probably obsolete. Failing that, the shed needs to go... You've got two weeks, it won't take that long!

Yes, it's a single story. Any ideas where i might be able to find a vertical flue kit, and would it be possible to fit this to the existing fluework, and my understanding is that this requires CORGI cert to fit it? The manual implies that vertical flue kits should come out the top of the boiler, which i don't want to do as that's where all the pipework comes to it from. I'm thinking a 93* angle and a vertical pipe, but that appears to be ~£200 for the parts alone, so more than a replacement shed, which wouldn't have the burn mark on it!

I forgot to ask for a corgi cert for the boiler when i bought the house, got one for the gas fire, but not the boiler :(

Ah well.

Must had a local company quote me £90 + vat for the vertical flue kit and £35 for a 93 degree bend. Would be really interested if you guys think this could be safely used to replace/extend the existing rear flue with this.

No, you can't extend the existing flue externally - a vertical flue is just that, it needs to come vertically off the top of the boiler, although bends inside your house are permitted after that (not externally)

You'd need a Gas Safe Registered person to fit it. CORGI ceased to be the gas engineer's registration body more than five years ago. I can't find any part numbers for the vertical kit after a very brief search but they might still be available. Still think it'd be easier to move the shed...

No, you can't extend the existing flue externally - a vertical flue is just that, it needs to come vertically off the top of the boiler, although bends inside your house are permitted after that (not externally)

You'd need a Gas Safe Registered person to fit it. CORGI ceased to be the gas engineer's registration body more than five years ago. I can't find any part numbers for the vertical kit after a very brief search but they might still be available. Still think it'd be easier to move the shed...

OK thanks for that. Agreed it should be easier to move the shed half a meter which was the original plan,but it is concreted into the ground so moving it actually means destroying it, it's 10 ft by 8ft and full :(

yes, I get corgi and gas safe confused.

Ah well, if the bank holiday is dry, that's my job for the day!

I dont think its that simple.

That boiler is supplied as a rear exit flue and I don't think there is any vertical outlet conversion for it.

So the shed will need to be moved.

You could also complain to the vendor for selling a house with a dangerous boiler!

Tony

There are vertical flueing options listed in the manual Tony, albeit with no part numbers, but vertical and twin flue options with maximum lengths are shown

You are correct though that there could be some recourse to the house vendor on this

There are vertical flueing options listed in the manual Tony, albeit with no part numbers, but vertical and twin flue options with maximum lengths are shown

You are correct though that there could be some recourse to the house vendor on this

Indeed it does, but if I'm not allowed to put any external bends into the flue then it's not an option to do what I wanted, as I can't go straight up internally as that is where all the pipework is fitted.

I'm trying to work out if I can shift the shed sideways 115mm sideways to meet the needs o the installation, assuming that this wud make it count as the an external corner.

Regarding comeback on the vendor, is gas safe related to building regs or are they completely separate? I've mentioned this to the solicitor I used and they weren't interested. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't ask for a gas safe cert for the boiler, so I'm not sure if they feel they might have a responsibility in this as well for not doing their job.

Boilers normally expect at least 900 mm clear in front of the flue.

Unfortunately, its very confusing the gas regulations.

There are a few aspects included in the BR but generally its covered by requiring a Gas Safe registered person to fit the boiler and ( its assumed ) to do it correctly in accordance with the regulations and maker's requirements.

In this case the boiler was installed correctly but the owner fitted the shen in an inappropriate position.

Your building survey SHOULD have noted it ???

Some sols ask for gas safety certs or more often just a copy of an invoice or other proof of recent service.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back