Shed 10cm in front of Flue exhaust - Options?

Boilers normally expect at least 900 mm clear in front of the flue.

Unfortunately, its very confusing the gas regulations.

There are a few aspects included in the BR but generally its covered by requiring a Gas Safe registered person to fit the boiler and ( its assumed ) to do it correctly in accordance with the regulations and maker's requirements.

In this case the boiler was installed correctly but the owner fitted the shen in an inappropriate position.

Your building survey SHOULD have noted it ???

Some sols ask for gas safety certs or more often just a copy of an invoice or other proof of recent service.

Tony

Thanks for the clarification, I had an argument about the building regs compliance for s different bit of the house, don't think he realised what he was doing with most of this stuff.

I didn't get a home buyer, had the mortgage company survey and then a full structural survey due to some roofing problems, so missed a few things like this.

Sponsored Links
I didn't get a home buyer, had the mortgage company survey and then a full structural survey due to some roofing problems, so missed a few things like this.
Was it a full survey, or did the surveyor just look at the roof?

Even Homebuyer surveys cover the boiler.

What did the Survey say about the boiler? In my experience they usually recommend an independent report by a GSR. If you don't do this you have no comeback on the vendor or the Surveyor.

If the Survey said nothing about the boiler, you might have a valid reason to get redress, but check with the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).

A full survey is not expected to miss blatant problems like that obstructed flue!

The surveyor should come and help you push it out of the way!

Tony

Was it a full survey, or did the surveyor just look at the roof?

Even Homebuyer surveys cover the boiler.

What did the Survey say about the boiler? In my experience they usually recommend an independent report by a GSR. If you don't do this you have no comeback on the vendor or the Surveyor.

If the Survey said nothing about the boiler, you might have a valid reason to get redress, but check with the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).

Hi.

The Survey was for the roof only, i didn't get a homebuyers.

I've since found the appropriate rules/regs I was looking for:
Section 7.13 of http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/pdf/GIUSP_Edition_Consumer_web_site_Version_-_2_April_12.pdf

where
7.13 Unsatisfactory flue termination positions - NCS

So most likely this will be NCS, aka an advisory, and i need to do nothing other than protect the shed roof with some alu sheeting.

Sponsored Links
In your case, as the shed so badly obstructs the flue, I would class the situation as At Risk because there is a high likelihood of causing recirculation of products of combustion.

To measure this I would measure the amount of carbon dioxide in the air intake at the boiler.

The reduction in oxygen can cause excess levels of carbon monoxide in the flue gasses.

Tony

In your case, as the shed so badly obstructs the flue, I would class the situation as At Risk because there is a high likelihood of causing recirculation of products of combustion.

To measure this I would measure the amount of carbon dioxide in the air intake at the boiler.

The reduction in oxygen can cause excess levels of carbon monoxide in the flue gasses.

Tony

Aye, and that can only be checked on site by measuring it.
I've since understood what the difference between At Risk and Immediate Disconnection - I didn't realise there was a difference. I can live with At risk, as i can self clear it within an afternoon by dismantling the shed.
I thought the only options were ID or Advisory.

I'll go ahead with a site visit to get the CO/CO2 measured at the intake.

Gas Safe might come out for free and make that measurement.

Perhaps you could suggest to them that you think the previous owner's gas engineer was at fault whe he last serviced the boiler and left it working?

Tony

Gas Safe might come out for free and make that measurement.

Perhaps you could suggest to them that you think the previous owner's gas engineer was at fault whe he last serviced the boiler and left it working?

Tony

Thanks for that, I'll look into that option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back