Shed build - siding materials?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the spring I'll be building a new shed to replace the failing flatpack abomination I bought a few years ago.

We're hopefully only going to be here another couple of years, so this isn't my "forever shed" and whilst I'll build it properly, longevity is a secondary concern this time, and money is not in the greatest supply at the moment. Only replacing the old shed because it's structurally unsound and the work to get it straight would be about the same as a new build.

For the sidings, I was going to use softwood T&G cladding, treated with a suitable preserver or paint. But, that's because I don't know what else would work.

What other materials are out there for cladding the outside of a shed? Any recommendations for things you've found work well?

Sponsored Links
Pressure treated shiplap with a wood preserver of your choice/colour applied every couple of years.
Make sure you only use a single row of screws on each board to allow for movement.
Got a shed that is still in fine fettle 16 years on, albeit for the bottom board that has had to be replaced.
But that was because I didn't allow enough clearance to the ground base.

But then if you're not interested in 'longevity' it's possibly a tad too expensive, although not much more than T&G.

Sponsored Links
You really are an internet stalker!

But then you are a relative newcomer...

I came here 16 years ago to get advice (for a shed I was building) and have benefited greatly over the years, and have passed on a few 'pearls of wisdom' learnt from others...

Have the humility to not disgrace yet another topic and delete your post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back