Shed cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a bike shed out of loads of various sizes of timber I've been hauding. I've build a basic frame with a 4x2 base frame with OSB on top. It will be cladded over. For the front I'd like log lap. I have some 1x8 boards which I have no other use for and I'm wondering whether I could use these for the side cladding. I think lapped they'd be bit to thick so I wondered if they could be butted together? Would cladding work done that way or does it really need to overlap to work?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It will keep most of the weather, but there will be gaps. Nail breathable roofing membrane, with a bit of stack, to the frame before the cladding. It will keep out rainsplash, dirt and most insects.

If horizontal cladding you could cut an angle in each edge to help shed any rainwater down the cladding rather than it seeping in through the joints, in anycase you would fit a breathable membrane to your shed frame, then battens then the cladding, the battens forming a ventilated cavity. Any rain entering the cladding will drain down the cavity and out.

eg

parallelogram.jpg

Thanks. I've built a summer house a few years ago which was timber framed with OSB on the outside, that used breathable membrane and batten before cladding. I thought as this was just a bike shed membrane etc might be a bit overkill?

Sponsored Links
I'm not going to use OSB on the outside on this, just a frame with cladding..that seems to be how most garden sheds are done.

The membrane will make a big improvement with little effort.

Add a good eaves overhang and gutters to reduce water running down the cladding

I think I have some membrane left over from my last build actually. Would I still need to batten it out before cladding though? I was hoping to just have plenty of uprights and noggins between and fix the cladding straight to the frame. Does the membrane need an air gap to work effectively though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back