Using tongue and groove cladding to trim shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any reason I shouldn’t use the T&g cladding for shed trims? Specifically corners and roof edge. I have excess cladding. 22x100mm timber seems a bit too thick and wide but there’s none thinner in my local timber yards and I need over 3m which I can’t get in my car and adds a lot of cost for delivery.

The cladding thickness seems perfect. At least for corner trims.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a table saw to trim the T & G off, put the "cut" end at the top and reprotect all the timber exposed by the cuts.

I was going to do this myself and this was the advice I was given. Now I'm switching to using fence posts for my corners instead.

Sponsored Links
presumably the eaves overhang and gutters will prevent water falling directly onto the boards? It will just blow onto the face and run off?

Be sure to have the tongues facing upward so that water can not lie in the grooves.

Treat it before fixing as you will never reach the edges afterwards.

I like to use rustproof screws so you can easily remove and replace any boards that get damp and rot. It will be the top one and the bottom one. BZP is not rustrproof.

if we are talking the thin 7.5mm stuff wont be very stable and wont take substantial screw to pin the cladding easily :(
14.5 should be ok

I use decking boards for that sort of thing. Strong, treated and fairly cheap. Preferably buy some without huge knots and shakes.

I hadn't realised the T&G might be so thin.

Thanks all. I went ahead and looks good. If it doesn’t work out it’s easy to replace.

As suggested, the roof trims have tongue up so as not to collect water.

the corner trims have the groove edges butted together as I thought that would be a thicker seal to stop water getting in compared to tongue.

looks good and saved on more wood cost.

it’s the 14.5mm T&g

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 246

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back