How Can I Repair Tongue And Groove Cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping to erect a summerhouse here this weekend. Unfortunately two of the panels were blown over on Wednesday and one of them is broken.

A brace of the side of the frame of this panel has fractured. But I can easily repair this.

What I am not certain about is what to do about a second issue. The cladding is tongue and groove construction. And about halfway up the panel the tongue of one of the timbers has come out of the groove of the timber above. For a length of about half a metre. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can replace this tongue in the groove.

Movement of the timbers seems to be quite limited. Not least because they are nailed to a vertical brace in the centre of the panel in addition to the braces at either side. With the heads of these nails buried about halfway into the timbers themselves.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo? it'd help understand your predicament.

Sponsored Links
forget about removing and replacing the board the replacement will be impossible to get in

is the tounge siting on the back off the groove ??

your best bet is to get it sitting as best as possible even if this means removing the back groove to let the tounge sit correctly then use an off cut to replace the support at the back [screwed to the upper plank loosely holding the plank underneath

Thank you.

I did as big-all suggested above – Removed a section of the inner flange from the groove of the upper timber. Having previously pulled out the nails, which had been holding this timber to the bracing. And this enabled me to restore the tongue of the lower timber back on to what remained of the groove construction.

I glued the tongue in place. And then nailed the timbers to the vertical brace again. And the panel is still waterproof. As only an inner flange section of the groove construction has been removed.

thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you got on it makes it all worth it :D :D :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back