Shed Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new consumer unit in my shed to run a light and a 13amp socket. When I switch the light on or plug anything into the socket the RCD trips. I have rewired the whole lot this weekend and cannot solve the problem. I have tried it with just the light attached and it still trips. It is all brand new Wylex kit intended for garage or workshop use. The RCDs are 6A for the light and 20A for the socket.

Any ideas as to where I might be going wrong?

Sponsored Links
The fact that it doesn't trip until you connect a load suggests to me a N-E fault. Check all your wiring for trapped wires, nicked insulation etc.

Are you absolutely positive there is no N / E reversal anywhere?

I fitted a split CU for a customer whose garage socket then proceeded to trip the rcd, but only when power was drawn. On investigation, the socket had just such a fault.

Thanks for your advice. I have taken it all apart , checked all the cables as suggested and also checked the CU to see if there is any unwanted contact anywhere, plus I have tested it all with a circuit tester. I have rewired it all again (carefully!) but only wired up the light socket this time.

However, it still trips when I switch the light on. I am baffled - could it be the RCD is faulty?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Try rewiring the lights - N to E or L to E fault on the lights maybe??

OK.

Remove ALL wiring from the outgoing terminals of the CU. Does the RCD reset? If so, there is a problem with outgoing circuits. If it still trips, there is a problem with the rcd or perhaps the way it is wired at the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back