Shed erection, help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks!

I'm very inexperienced at DIY, and carpentry and all that, and I need some guidance about erecting a shed in the garden, if you've the time to help.

I'm buying a metal shed from Argos for just over £100 http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/7053225/searchTerm/Metal+shed.htm

I'm mystified by the base and floor. I want to build it directly on grass and not say a gravel pit, as it's the cheapest option.

So how do I go about making the (well actually it's not me doing the work as I'm disabled, I'm hiring a relative) base and floor, in terms of what I need to buy?

I understand I'll need a base on which I need to lay wood of some type, yes? I've been looking at this plastic 'cell' type base as shown here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDEN-MEM...&qid=1463766015&sr=8-1&keywords=6x4+shed+base

Is this suitable to lay on the grass?

After this I'll need the floor material, is this correct? What material and how much? How is the shed and floor fastened to this base material?

Hope you can help, and thanks for reading.

davediamond.

Sponsored Links
I would consider using a basic slab base as that can act as the foundation and the finished floor without the need for wood anywehere.

Some cheap concrete flags (even reclaimed 2x2's or local freecycle etc if funds are tight) laid down on a bed of mortar would be the best bet and by the time you buy and get the grid installed it may not be that much dearer, with flags material cost is very low but labour is higher.

Metal sheds can be prone to condensation so i wouldn't advise putting this type of shed on a gravel type base as it will only contribute to the amount of moisture probably.

The grass and an inch or two of top soil needs to be removed and then the flags laid on a 50mm bed of 5:1 mortar. Thats 5 grit/ sharp sand : 1 part cement.

The shed can then be screwed down into the flags, be careful drilling near edges of flags with a hammer drill as you could crack them.

I would consider using a basic slab base as that can act as the foundation and the finished floor without the need for wood anywehere.

Some cheap concrete flags (even reclaimed 2x2's or local freecycle etc if funds are tight) laid down on a bed of mortar would be the best bet and by the time you buy and get the grid installed it may not be that much dearer, with flags material cost is very low but labour is higher.

Metal sheds can be prone to condensation so i wouldn't advise putting this type of shed on a gravel type base as it will only contribute to the amount of moisture probably.

The grass and an inch or two of top soil needs to be removed and then the flags laid on a 50mm bed of 5:1 mortar. Thats 5 grit/ sharp sand : 1 part cement.

The shed can then be screwed down into the flags, be careful drilling near edges of flags with a hammer drill as you could crack them.

You're both kind and a genius...thank you! So the idea is that the flags form both the base and the floor?

Can you buy this 5:1 mortar ready made? If so where from?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You can buy bags of ready-mixed mortar but they are not really suitable as they are generally for brick-laying and the wrong type of sand for your job.

The best best is to buy seperate bags of sharp sand and cement. assuming a 50mm deep bed and your 2.2m/sq You'll need about 8 x 25kg bags of sand and 2 x 25kg bags of cement.

You could mix it by hand but a cement mixer would be much better and quicker.

There is very detailed advice on all aspects at paving expert.com where you can find step by step guides.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back