Shed erection...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to erect my shed this evening and was wondering if I should place the thing on bearers or not?

I have laid a concrete base so is perfectly flat and level. But do I place on bricks/timber... Or shall I put self adhesive flashband on the shed floor bearers?

It would be nice if the floor was as solid as poss? But want to avoid the thing rotting obviously!

Sponsored Links
I never used bearers on mine and it was fine for years - since moved so I can't say whether it's still standing. As long as the water drains from the base and air circulates there shouldn't be any problem.

My base was made from paving slabs, not that it makes any difference. Adding bearers to those already on the base of the shed seems a bit of overkill. I'd just go for it.

the good thing about putting it on bearers
is you can get all sorts of thing stored in the gapps

i store treated and sawn wood underneath

also i would look at the quality of the floor and if your
going to put anything heavy [workbench for example]
12mm ply or sterling board will spread the load
easier to do when new and empty

big all

I personally would put the shed on bearers.

Some DPC on the bearers (seasoned timber or masonry) is a good idea, though probably overkill for today's quality of shed. (I have never done it myself.)

Circulation under the shed floor will definitely prolong its life. It would never really get the chance to dry out sitting directly on the concrete foundation.

I understand you wanting to have a good solid floor, but big-all's suggestion about the [WBP - exterior-grade] ply is a good one. 18mm would be better but is obviously more expensive than 12mm.

If you use decent sized timber bearers in conjunction with thick ply, then your shed floor will feel as solid as if it were directly on the concrete. Best of both worlds... but make sure you use exterior grade wood or you have wasted your time and money!

Sponsored Links
I normally put shed on a few paving slabs just resting on the concrete base to keep the bottom of the shed bearer dry.

Yes, yes, I like your thinking, less absorbant than wood too! Prevent that caterpillary action!
caterpillar.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back