Shed floor & roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the garden of this old house we have bought is a shed, two sides of which are formed by the old stone boundary wall.

I want to extend this along one wall until it meets the next wall, i.e. the extension will comprise just a front wall and a roof. One slight complication is that the side wall is at 45 degrees to the rear wall, so the extension will be longer at the front (4825) than at the back(3100). The depth is 1870 from front to back.

I have placed 4x2 floor joists at 400 c/cs, running from front to back, resting on three longitudinal joists (at front, back & middle), which in turn rest on dpc on levelled concrete blocks. The top of the joists is 30mm below the existing floor level. All timber is either Tanalised / Celcurised or Cuprinoled (none is new).

1. What is the best / cheapest (contradiction, I know!) flooring to use ? "ordinary" ply, WBP ply, OSB, green chipboard, blockboard ... ?

For the roof, I shall use 2x2 joists supported on the studwork at the front and on the wall at the side & back. It'll be felted, but

2. What is the best / cheapest (contradiction, I know!) roofing to use ? "ordinary" ply, WBP ply, OSB, green chipboard, blockboard ... ?

What would *you* use ?

Sponsored Links
i would use 18mm exterior ply
but you i am sure you will choose osb/sterling board off 18mm ;)

i would use 18mm exterior ply
but you i am sure you will choose osb/sterling board off 18mm ;)

Thank you. For both floor & roof ?

I had thought to use OSB for the roof and WBP for the floor...

What's the difference between "exterior" and "WBP" ? (and who the hell would ever want to boil it, anyway !).

Should I also Cuprinol it? Both sides ?

who the hell would ever want to boil it, anyway
'boil proof' is the test that boil proof plywod must undertake ie it is suspended in boiling water for a set period of time to check it does not delaminate as this is considered to be a suitable test of the adhesives.

Sponsored Links
I have found that by the time you buy some half decent ply and strong felt it's almost the same price as corrugated iron, which will last for decades without any maintenace, unlike felt. But it won't suit all roofs and uses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back