Raised floor for shower/bath - floor material (to take tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having some diy dilemmas in respect of the raised floor I built, to be covered in 18mm WBP ply to raise a free standing bath and shower sufficiently to overcome some plumbing restrictions caused by a steel I beam.

Having built it, I'm having a crisis of confidence. My queries are as follows:

a) I built the supporting structure with 3.5x1.5 timber, on edge, resting directly on the 4x2 flooring joists, with additional noggins where necessary. It's all screwed together rather than nailed. However, I'm wishing now that I used 4x2, as I'd then have a clear 1" supporting edge under the ply where the sheets abut each other. Should I redo my frame in 4x2? I'll have wasted about £35 of timber and a weekend if the answer is yes :) There are 4 x long joins that share an edge on my "mini" joists and the screws need to be very close to the edge of the ply as a result.

b) The eventual surface will be floor tiled. Thus I used 18mm WBP for the platform, based on suggestions I'd read online. My query here, is should I lay the ply on top of a flooring chipboard underlay to give additional support, or is it sufficient in itself? I guess I'm worried that the localised load the 4 x feet of a full freestanding bath might flex the ply and give me problems.

Rebuilding the frame in 4x2 would be easy now that I've done one and figured out all the dimensions! Just my diy time and cost of the 4 x 2 (about 20m).

Sponsored Links
You could install a second timber next to the one where sheets meet to add support and ensure you have support directly below the bath legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back