shed foundation

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed at the bottom of my garden that has large cracks which I assume is due to old subsidence (I live near an old mine). I am going to take the shed down and build a new one - my only concern is the footings.

The shed is built on quite a thick base (which is cracked); would I have to dig through the base to set new footings or could I just set new ones on top of the old base?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
If you live over an old mine that's gonna be extremely deeeeeeeep footings ;)
How bigs the shed ?

I would remove the old base especially if its cracked, break it up and use it as hardcore for the new base.

we have just done a base for a shed (light structure) 8' x 8' and it was 3" hardcore and 3" concrete. :) I guess if you have a problem with the ground (mine) then you'd be best putting a double this in. If it's really bad then seek help from a Civil Engineer. I'd agree with above and break up the old for hardcore.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

The shed is 4x3x2.5m. I was going to set an RSJ into the new footings to give some support - not a good idea?

How are you going to build the new shed ? I would break the old base up and compact it down with new concrete on top. You could also dig a footing round the outside of the base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back