Shed insulation?

my full thought

now you talk about tv and boarding 100% insulate
it allows you to use it in the summer when sheds tend to overheat my shed fully insulated can still reach 30 degrees
you may not mind the cold but others may enjoy some warmth so you have the option
in general an insulated shed at say 6 degrees can warm with a 1kw setting to perhaps 10 or 12 then slowly cool over the next 3 or 4 hours

in my shed i sit on my workmate the fan heater is hung from the ceiling and aims to where my head is about a metre away and the phycological comfort is as good as 10 degrees

if i am doing any gluing on woodwork i go for 12 degrees at glue can go white or even not set properly at below 8 degrees

the last point more to illustrate things you may not have thought off

and as an aside some fridges or freezers will not work well below perhaps 12- 15 degrees

Sponsored Links
This is a timely thread as I’m in the middle of insulating the summer house I inherited when I moved into my current house …

I’ve been using it mainly as a home gym so my intention was to make it a little easier to heat in winter months. I’ve therefore gone for the options that are easier to install - 25mm celotex to fit flush between the wall joists (with a air gap between it and the cladding), 30mm in the ceiling . Appreciate that won’t make it completely toasty but I would hope would take the edge off .

For ventilation I’ve a condensation control vent at the peak of the ceiling (https://www.permagard.co.uk/perma-vent-standard) . I was thinking of trickle vents on the other side above the door to give some through draught, would that be sufficient, considering likely only used for an hour a day?

I was thinking of 9mm plywood for interior cladding but wondering if the roof would take the weight ? Joists are 6cm x 4.5cm x 230 cm

I had considered hardboard but seems to be frowned on for poor moisture handling. Would plasterboard be any better though?

If the interior cladding is of any thickness (9mm ply or 12mm pboard) how would you suggest finishing it around windows ? Quarter turn beading on the plywood?

Also unsure what do to improce window insulation - 4 windows and 2 doors . Would acrylic sheets over the top to “double glaze” them be worth it ?

Appreciate any help…

12mm ply all the way you can hang what you like within reason without any further batons
overlap ply flush with the stud edge in to the window then separate timber to fill the reveal or space if quad size ok if not use right angle "L" moulding to cover

Sponsored Links
Nothing to be gained by insulating without a reason / heating .
I guess my thinking was to insulate it so that any hot air from exercise doesn't condense on the cold exterior cladding. The hot air would then be vented quickly using extractor fans.

I guess my thinking was to insulate it so that any hot air from exercise doesn't condense on the cold exterior cladding. The hot air would then be vented quickly using extractor fans.
Without heating the interior insulation will be cold so still condenses .

I built my garden cabin with insulation on floor, walls, roof. It has 50 x 25mm battens then featheredge cladding. I don't use the cabin all that much but it suffers no condensation on the glass and nothing has gone mouldy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back