shed lighting

• Thread starter bigbadbubbage
  • Start date
B

bigbadbubbage

hi, i have a fairly basic understanding of electrics. i can get by doing most things but just need someone with a bit more savvy to point me in the right direction. i keep budgies and other parakeets in my sheds, so every morning i switch on the extension lead in my kitchen and switch it off again at night time. i have electric in both of my sheds with just an extension lead and rcd. the aim is to disturb them as little as possible. what im trying to achieve is to keep power on out there 24/7, for heat in the winter months. but still control the lighting manually. ive tried using timers and automated lighting but they always seem to play up. basically my question is, can i fit a junction box on my outside light, then run three fluorescent lights and an LED kit? running them as spurs i guess? my aim is to switch on the shed lighting with the outside light switch

Sponsored Links
An extension lead is not the right way to permanently supply power to an outbuilding.

The cable to it should either be armoured and buried, or run overhead with sufficient clearance above the ground, adequate mechanical support, and be of the right type to be exposed to the elements. It might be possible to run an armoured cable, or one suitably protected, fixed to a wall (not a fence).

Obviously if you want to control the heating separately from the lighting you'll need switches in the sheds or multiple cables running to them.

I suggest you decide what you would want if you could wave a magic wand, and get electricians to come and look at the job and quote you.

An extension lead is not the right way to permanently supply power to an outbuilding.

The cable to it should either be armoured and buried, or run overhead with sufficient clearance above the ground, adequate mechanical support, and be of the right type to be exposed to the elements. It might be possible to run an armoured cable, or one suitably protected, fixed to a wall (not a fence).

Obviously if you want to control the heating separately from the lighting you'll need switches in the sheds or multiple cables running to them.

I suggest you decide what you would want if you could wave a magic wand, and get electricians to come and look at the job and quote you.

What Bas said, do it right and get an electrician to install it.

regards,

DS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back