Shed next to house - whats the smallest gap without problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a long narrow shed down the side of my house.

What is the minimum amount of space I can leave between the shed and the house to prevent any problems to the house such as damp?

Im not concerned about needing to get down the side as the shed will not need maintaining.

I will have the shed roof angled down away from the house.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Definitely go for a lean to. Chase in lead above the roof structure and you won't have any damp issues if you angle the roof away from the house.

I was just hoping not to have to drill into the house etc in case I ever want to remove it.

Does anyone know issues with damp etc if i just left a 1 inch gap? Is there a better distance i need to leave?

i think dirt, leaves etc will get into the gap and slowly fill it , which may cause issues if covering/bridging the damp course.

you could put the shed upto the wall with a damp course covering the side completely I guess, but would still want to fix to the wall

Any tips on fixing to the wall? do i put something between the wooden battons and the brick?

I'm a DIY'er , not trade , but i have put up 4 lean too, 2 on my own houses and 2 for family
depends on where the battons are, I used a plastic membrane DPC

The last one i put up for my self in the 90's I used a good quality corrugated roof , which did not go brittle with Sunlight and was still perfect in 2018 when I moved out - (other types do quickly start to go black and brittle ) so 20 years. It cost a lot more per sheet but well worth it.

The outside was all glass as well , so the leantoo was very light , with windows, I made at the end.
Rules on glass have changed now, so not sure how expensive that would be.

Others have been a solid roof.

What's with the obsession for a lean-to, what a faff, nout wrong with a good old fashioned standalone shed. I'd eave about 75mm myself, wide enough to get a broom head or something down there to clear any blockages and prevent any cats getting stuck etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back