Shed problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all Hello just found this site bought a shed in july so went to B&Q to get some products to seal it, the stock was very limited and I came away with Cuprinol exterior Varnish, and treated the outside and had a bit left so did part of the inside and the door. Now my shed walls are all bowing out and so is the door, I fully intended to finish the inside but it got forgotten about.
Have I cocked up by not finishing the inside, the shed is made from 16 mm tongue and groove kiln dried although I have a concrete base I also bought a pressure treated base thinking it would last longer, this shed replaced a cheap shed that was treated only twice but lasted 20 years.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Varnish seals the surface and cannot breath, so the inside can absorb moisture and swells but the outside does not hence the bowing.
I would leave it till the summer if you can bear to and hopefully the inside will dry and return to almost normal then you could seal the inside.
You are stuck with the varnish now as getting it off will be a major task.

I did something similar with a sheet of chipboard over a fireplace, I papered it with vinyl paper that caused the outer side to expand, my fireplace looked pregnant! it did finally dry out but it took months :D

Sponsored Links
I suppose it depends how smooth the timber is if it is sawn finish it may be a bit of a job.
Try the back of the shed and see if it is viable then you can treat it with normal shed treatment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back